Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is an 03 with approx. 700 miles on it.
Out the other day for a ride and found out my clutch slips when the bike is hot! Had ZERO freeplay at the lever (not fully engaged) when hot.
Soooooooooo I did a search on the forum and found the "Redrazor fix".
Shimmed out the slave cylinder .040 and the clutch WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!
THANKS REDRAZOR
:dance:

Eric R.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
x1050 said:
My bike is an 03 with approx. 700 miles on it.
Out the other day for a ride and found out my clutch slips when the bike is hot! Had ZERO freeplay at the lever (not fully engaged) when hot.
Soooooooooo I did a search on the forum and found the "Redrazor fix".
Shimmed out the slave cylinder .040 and the clutch WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!
THANKS REDRAZOR
:dance:

Eric R.
Great also if you run Synthetic it can effect the clutch also. ;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Kaz I know what Jamie said but my clutch is 100% better and never slips with snthetic, with regular HD oil my clutch was terrible. When the oil would get hot trying to get a smooth start with the regular oil was impossible with synthetic my clutch is smooth as glass and never slips under any load.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Max said:
Kaz I know what Jamie said but my clutch is 100% better and never slips with snthetic, with regular HD oil my clutch was terrible. When the oil would get hot trying to get a smooth start with the regular oil was impossible with synthetic my clutch is smooth as glass and never slips under any load.
Hows the ware?I uses synthetic in my bike but the clutch is not stock. ;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Kaz it may be that under the condition that you and Jamie use the clutches that it may cause a problem. As far as I can tell I have over 10k miles and my clutch still feels like new but I have not had it out to see what the actual wear is.

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
He's probably refering to the non MC specific syns that were all that was available up to a couple years ago. Without the friction modifiers in the current car oils there shouldn't be any issues with a wet clutch.

BTW, I've used MC synthetic in every motorcycle I've owned in the last 5 years without a single clutch issue. I have a friend who put car Mobil 1 in his Honda and the clutch did start to slip, converted to V-Twin Mobil 1 and it cleared up.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
mjw930 said:
He's probably refering to the non MC specific syns that were all that was available up to a couple years ago. Without the friction modifiers in the current car oils there shouldn't be any issues with a wet clutch.

BTW, I've used MC synthetic in every motorcycle I've owned in the last 5 years without a single clutch issue. I have a friend who put car Mobil 1 in his Honda and the clutch did start to slip, converted to V-Twin Mobil 1 and it cleared up.
Yes Mark I'm sure he was referring to the NON HD Synthetics. :)

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Max, the syn3 greatly improved my clutch as well as the smoothness from gear to gear.

Many auto syns contain moly which is a friction modifier and antiwear agent and this will cause clutch problems down the road. Kind of like grease in the brake pads. Stick to MC oils and you should be OK.

Ken

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Since the synthetic mine has smoother engagement,no more chatter when hot.The chatter was slight.I have over 11,000 miles on the stock clutch.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts