Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 months and 5000 miles of clutch slippage,it is being replaced.Harley is paying for parts but not labor.I talked to tech today who showed me the plates of which show no wear.They have no idea what was causing it to slip,they just replaced them and solved the problem. Does this seem odd to anyone else?Or am I just lucky that harley payed for parts in good faith.:deal:

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Smile, say thanks, and move on. You're fortunate.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Unforunately, whenever there is a clutch problem, on a car or motorcycle, the knee jerk reaction is to assume operator error, abuse etc. In many cases I am sure that is indeed the case, however not always.

If you clutch has slipped since new, than clearly it was never fully engaging. That most likely is a clutch actuation issue, as opposed to the clutch itself. Of course if the bike continues to be ridden, with a slipping clutch, than there will be worn clutch plates. I am surprised they did not see any wear on a clutch that has been slipping for 5k miles. If there was no wear, than just what did they "fix".

Bottom line, in this case I would expect the dealer to pick up the total tab, especially if you had brought the bike in on day one, and advised the clutch is slipping, and they continued to let you deal with it for the next 5k miles.

I will be the first to admit, I have a low pain threshold when it comes to HD dealers, and after one or two tries with them would have just torn it apart myself, rather than be frustrated by warranty issues on clutches.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
That does not make sense to only get 5000 miles on a clutch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts