Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1000 miles ago I had the problem with the clutch lever getting spongy, I went down to Josephs he has the Pressure Bleeder, we bled it, it was fine. Tonite the focking thing starts doing it again, No pressure and it slams into gear and stalls it sometimes. There no way the fluid has gone bad already. The fluid level is fine, sometimes when I get off the bike I notice that the Reservoir and the Handlebar near it have a thin layer of Oily substance, I imagine its the fluid but I do not see where it is leaking if it is and the level never seems to go down that. I dont want to go thru the Bleeding process again only to do this again.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I had a leaky brake reservoir a while back. Turns out the fluid was oozing out due to the top being screwed on too tight. I took the lid off, cleaned the gasket, then put the lid back on to where it was just a hair beyond snug and never had any more issues. Maybe that might work for you too?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Sounds like you've blown a seal.

Disgusting.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Louis said:
Sounds like you've blown a seal.

Disgusting.
Does this mean I have to rebuild the hand control again or the seal around the top of the resevoir?

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
You know for the money you've spent on your old jalopy you could of had one of these!!:hidesbeh: :D

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
luxlamf said:
Does this mean I have to rebuild the hand control again or the seal around the top of the resevoir?
I was actually just making a cheap, offensive joke at your expense, but if I have to be all serious, generally, if there is a small leak but the clutch works then it is the lid and if there is a small leak and the clutch doesn't work then you will need to rebuild the cylinder. Check the cap over first though, it is just possible it has wept enough to allow the level to fall below the point at which air is getting into the system. Clean it all off and see if you can find the weep. Also check for anything with a hairline crack.

If you have just rebuilt the cylinder once, then you'll need to look at what is trashing the seals.

As always, that's based on years of other bikes. Doubtless a V-Rod expert will be along in a second.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Louis said:
I was actually just making a cheap, offensive joke at your expense, but if I have to be all serious, generally, if there is a small leak but the clutch works then it is the lid and if there is a small leak and the clutch doesn't work then you will need to rebuild the cylinder. Check the cap over first though, it is just possible it has wept enough to allow the level to fall below the point at which air is getting into the system. Clean it all off and see if you can find the weep. Also check for anything with a hairline crack.

If you have just rebuilt the cylinder once, then you'll need to look at what is trashing the seals.

As always, that's based on years of other bikes. Doubtless a V-Rod expert will be along in a second.
Louis I think you got it... Except for the part where he should of bought one of these
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot, the reason I'm assuming it is the bar end is because of the thin film of fluid. Without that, it could be the other end...

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
That just looks WRONG without some bags, a screen and some tassles though.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right, If I had bought that Yellow nightmare nothing would be wrong because it would have the 12 miles on it that is how far the dealership is from my home and after 12 miles I would have been so over it as to never ride it again (Or be seen on it).

Biker Bill said:
Louis I think you got it... Except for the part where he should of bought one of these
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought soem chrome pleated hand controls and when they arrived they had no Guts in them so both had to be Built.
Louis said:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
luxlamf said:
I bought soem chrome pleated hand controls and when they arrived they had no Guts in them so both had to be Built.
Pleated hand controls? No wonder they leak, the fluid would get out round the folds.

I'd bung the originals back on and do some investigating.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Louis said:
Pleated hand controls? No wonder they leak, the fluid would get out round the folds.

I'd bung the originals back on and do some investigating.
I agree with Louis again. I have heard of problems with chrome cylinders being bad out of the box. For shits and giggles ( I know it'll be a pain in the arse but) put the stock controls back on David and see if it does it again. BTW I thought you'd like the pics of the "R".:stilpoke::D

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
It sounds like you need the clutch master cylinder rebuilt. Mine was oozing fluid around the clutch lever pin. Shifting into second would grind.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Biker Bill said:
I agree with Louis again. I have heard of problems with chrome cylinders being bad out of the box. For shits and giggles ( I know it'll be a pain in the arse but) put the stock controls back on David and see if it does it again. BTW I thought you'd like the pics of the "R".:stilpoke::D
Wish I could, it was one of those "Core" deals where you send them your old one for the chrome one. I remember this being a pain in the ass.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
luxlamf said:
Wish I could, it was one of those "Core" deals where you send them your old one for the chrome one. I remember this being a pain in the ass.
Ah, do a search on "my kingdom for a clutch". Danno knows this all too well.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Cheatin said:
Ah, do a search on "my kingdom for a clutch". Danno knows this all too well.
This doesnt involve ground beef does it?:stilpoke:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
This sounds like the price you pay for being a chromosexual :D

Me, I rely on the good, thick black paint to keep the fluid in.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Quit whining. At least you got your bike back!. I missed the thread - how long was it down? Who won the "Lux has no bike" pool?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts