Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 06 A. that has 3500 miles. This has happened 2 times to me now. At a stop light in first gear. Light turns green I let out on the clutch. the lever does not come out(is just loose and floppy) the clutch does not engage. It takes some playin around to get it to start working as it should but it does start working. Has all the signs of what used to be a past center on a car where the clutch is pushed in to the point where the diaphram will not pop back out. I have no Idea on this one. Any Ideas or anyone had it happen to them. Pretty stupid when you have lots of traffic behind you.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
that could be a dangerous problem.. haven`t seen it happen before but i would get it fixed asap.. can you tell if the piston in the master cyl is sticking in the bore or is it the clutch itself that isn`t operating properly.. i could see a real problem in traffic that could turn out badly..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm

Who put Dot 5 in it?
The bike just got off of extended warrenty so dealer has been the only one that has done anything. As for if I can tell about the master cylinder?? Problem is I cant recreate the problem while home and of course when your at a light your just glad it seems to have cured itself for that instance so you get it home. The first time it happened I had been caught in a downpoor and so I was drowned and this problem just was about perfect. Thought it was a one time thing then today was the second time. Its not going out again till I figure this one out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. Sounds like to me that a drain, flush with denatured alcohol and refill with dot 5 is my best choice. The dealer could have put anything in without me knowing. I went in for oil one time and told them it was for a v-rod and they asked me if it was for the transmission or engine.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Check the top of the master cylinder for a sticker that indicated whether to use DOT 4 or DOT 5.

In case you do not know DOT 5.1 is not a better version of DOT 5 it is similar to DOT 4 making in incompatible with DOT 5.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as to the fluid in the master cyl. for the clutch. Both the sticker on the cap and in the shop manual it says dot 4. So of course it does still bring the question of has any other type been put in. As I have tried to figure out the real problem we have found that if you now put it in first gear and hold the clutch in either the master cyl is bypassing fluid or the slave is. In any case the bike starts to creap on you after a couple min. of holding the clutch in so I dont know which one is failing so thinking of flushing the system and rebuilding both to take care of the problem.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Well as to the fluid in the master cyl. for the clutch. Both the sticker on the cap and in the shop manual it says dot 4. So of course it does still bring the question of has any other type been put in. As I have tried to figure out the real problem we have found that if you now put it in first gear and hold the clutch in either the master cyl is bypassing fluid or the slave is. In any case the bike starts to creap on you after a couple min. of holding the clutch in so I dont know which one is failing so thinking of flushing the system and rebuilding both to take care of the problem.
That sounds like the master cylinder is leaking internally. Rebuild kits are available.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
If I were you, I'd be down at the Harley dealership with a score to settle.

1. You only take it to them for service.

2. They topped off all of your fluids.

3. Your clutch seals are disintegrating.

4. Your brake seals are next.

5. They owe you a complete overhaul on ALL hydraulic systems- including new hoses throughout.

6. Your lawyer has been notified and has a copy of the service receipts, should anything happen to you while riding.

7. It won't cost them a lot to make you happy. It will cost them a fortune to make your family happy.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
If you still have the invoices for when the bike was serviced, check and see what if any fluid they used. It should be listed in the parts used section.

I would find out what the problem is before jumping down someones throat.

With only 3500 miles on a 4 year old bike I would suspect something is gummed up from lack of use instead of someone adding fluid that corrupts the system.

Why would your brake and clutch systems need fluid anyway? It is a sealed system and should never need to add fluid. Only when flushing the systems would new fluid be added.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
...Why would your brake and clutch systems need fluid anyway? It is a sealed system and should never need to add fluid. Only when flushing the systems would new fluid be added.
Because the pads and disks wear or the system leaks.

But you are correct, the reservoir should have been made to read low only when the pads are fully worn. Therefore no fluid should be added at that time, rather, the pads should be replaced. But most people (including mechanics), "top off" all fluids without regard.

If there were a leak, the system should be flushed and bled.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Because the pads and disks wear or the system leaks.

But you are correct, the reservoir should have been made to read low only when the pads are fully worn. Therefore no fluid should be added at that time, rather, the pads should be replaced. But most people (including mechanics), "top off" all fluids without regard.

If there were a leak, the system should be flushed and bled.
He has only 3500 miles on the bike. Pads should last a lot longer than that. If there is a leak then I can see replacing fluid but he did not mention anything about a leak.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
He has only 3500 miles on the bike. Pads should last a lot longer than that. If there is a leak then I can see replacing fluid but he did not mention anything about a leak.
Still, only a very small mix of Dot 5 with the existing Dot 4 will create a problem. Here's a pretty good thread on another site about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For sure guys their are several things to think about here. I will check the service ticket and see if it shows type of fluid. The system has no leaks at all. If it shows dot 5 instead of 4 I will for sure talk to the dealer. If not probably hard to prove anything. As for my thoughts it seemed very unlikely that with no contamination problem should I have any issues either within this time or miles. What do you guys think about if I should replace/rebuild the slave section of the system. Seems to me if one has a problem more than likely both will. I am more than able to do the fix. Just surprised I have to.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If I were you, I'd be down at the Harley dealership with a score to settle.

1. You only take it to them for service.

2. They topped off all of your fluids.

3. Your clutch seals are disintegrating.

4. Your brake seals are next.

5. They owe you a complete overhaul on ALL hydraulic systems- including new hoses throughout.

6. Your lawyer has been notified and has a copy of the service receipts, should anything happen to you while riding.

7. It won't cost them a lot to make you happy. It will cost them a fortune to make your family happy.
Holy shit.You should go find some Toyota owners and make some money.
I will tell you one thing about what you wrote,if someone ever came to me in my business and started going on like you are this post,I'd call 911 and have them secured.

For sure guys their are several things to think about here. I will check the service ticket and see if it shows type of fluid. The system has no leaks at all. If it shows dot 5 instead of 4 I will for sure talk to the dealer. If not probably hard to prove anything. As for my thoughts it seemed very unlikely that with no contamination problem should I have any issues either within this time or miles. What do you guys think about if I should replace/rebuild the slave section of the system. Seems to me if one has a problem more than likely both will. I am more than able to do the fix. Just surprised I have to.
Basically what you can do is take the easiest component apart and inspect the rubber.Also check the hose and make sure the inside hasn't started to collapse.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Parts are ordered. Of course a part that should be kept in stock is not. Anyway should be here by Friday they say. Its my weekend project and hopefully after I flush the system and rebuild it will all be good again.. Like someone said they don't let anyone touch their bike. Well this one is out of warranty now. although I am going to talk to service and management before I do the take apart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts