Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this problem & what was the fix.
Cold no slipping, after a few miles & accel. in 2nd or 3rd its slips real bad.
What to Do???? Only have 7.5k on the speedo & it's an 03

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It sounds as though it is clutch time. All it takes is one failed burnout or riding the clutch on this bike to shorten the life. Also you haven't used regular motor oil instead of motorcycle wet clutch oil I hope?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I'm afraid I agree with Max. You may try to bleed the clutch, if it's an 03 with so few miles, you may need to change that fluid out. It breaks down quickly. I think, when all is said and done, Max is right about needing a new clutch.

RJ

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
rjrivero said:
....when all is said and done, Max is right...
Truer words never spoken. :)

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Try changing the brand of oil you use first, its relatively cheap and easy. As Max inferred do not use any car engine oils as the friction modifiers used in these oils cause clutch slip on "wet" motorcycle clutches.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
enigmas said:
Try changing the brand of oil you use first, its relatively cheap and easy. As Max inferred do not use any car engine oils as the friction modifiers used in these oils cause clutch slip on "wet" motorcycle clutches.
If you did use the wrong oil, then you'll need to change your clutch anyway. There is no reliable way to get the oil out of the clutch. It's a valid point that these wet clutches need oil specifically for a wet clutch.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Max said:
It sounds as though it is clutch time. All it takes is one failed burnout or riding the clutch on this bike to shorten the life. Also you haven't used regular motor oil instead of motorcycle wet clutch oil I hope?
....or Mobil 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE instead of the Mobil 1 V-Twin! That's how I cooked my clutch. :hidesbeh: :bolt

·
Registered
283 Posts
So is the amsoil v twin oil o.k.?

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
rodder said:
So is the amsoil v twin oil o.k.?
I'd go so far as to say that it's extending the life of my clutch which should probably have been replaced a few thousand miles ago. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had same problem, bleed the clutch fluid and put in new dot#5. its by far the cheapest and it totally cured my slipping problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clutch slipping

Haven't changed the fluid in the master cylinder, but use Amsoil motorcycle engine oil.
the fluid in the clutch master is dark and does need to be changed.
sonnyd

·
OLD FART
1,639 Posts
Max sells a great break and clutch bleeder in the forum store and they are the best and great price too

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clutch slipping

Bought the bleeder from Max,Changed the fluid (dot 5) I use Amsoil in the crankcae
Seems when I broke a lever in Sturgis last year I bought some Kuryakyn levers & they wern't letting the clutch engage fully along with the old Fluid,clutch is OK no burned plates:D
Back in the saddel again

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
sonnyd said:
Bought the bleeder from Max,Changed the fluid (dot 5) I use Amsoil in the crankcae
Seems when I broke a lever in Sturgis last year I bought some Kuryakyn levers & they wern't letting the clutch engage fully along with the old Fluid,clutch is OK no burned plates:D
Back in the saddel again
Count yourself lucky and dump those levers. If this had happened on the BRAKE SIDE, you would have locked up the front wheel and gone down. Just ask Danno, or Capt Close. Dump the Levers. Get HD stockers or Chromed ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts