Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Original problem is that battery test came up as shorted and I got it started and after 1/2-3/4 hour running I went to take off and had no clutch engagement I removed and replaced battery and started MC clutch functioned properly so I went for a short ride and noticed the slipping in higher revs. I did not have any issues with the clutch slipping prior to battery replacement. MC had never slipped before so I thought that it was an electronic problem or sometime of reset involved.

· Registered
6,471 Posts
This is starting to sound like a master cyl issue. Blocked port or too much fluid, not allowing engagement. In this 1/2-3/4 hour sitting there running did the master soak up some heat? Second thing could be plates are worn. Start with a fluid flush and bleed and go from there.
Ron

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it was in the heat. I live in PR so it’s hot but it the coincidence of having to jump start the bike and it running fine until I went to take off after the idle period of 1/2-3/4 hr and then I shut it down and replaced the battery that’s when it now became a clutch slipping issue.

· Registered
28 Posts
My 07 had the same issue. If you flush the clutch all the way from the handle to the slave cylinder, you will probably get a ton of junk out of it. When it is fully flushed, you should notice that your clutch engages perfectly. This is not an electrical problem. This is simply a problem of clutch fluid, coagulating over time and junk accumulating that prevents, the proper function of the clutch.

No need to get a new clutch at this point.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t know if you have seen my prior messages but my V-Rod clutch isn’t disengaging completely and causing slippage in all gears. I’ve flushed master cylinder but issue remains. Master cylinder seams my next best option.

· Registered
28 Posts
It isn’t hard to replace the clutch but with 17k on the clock, it’s almost certainly not the clutch. There is schmutz in the slave cylinder. Flush it and all will be well. If you still want to replace the clutch, then there are youtube videos on it. It isn’t hard. About a few hours with the right tools.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts