Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 07 vrod muscle and its my first ever bike and im new to riding. However it was bought used and only has a pc3 with a vance and hines exhaust. Also i did recently do a repair on the common stator wire oil leak which helped a funny little "click" in the rear when taking off from a stand still.

However when i aggressively shift and take it to redline in 1st, ill hit 2nd and the rpms dont seem to drop like i see on other videos and tend to stay in the 7k-8k range then when hitting 3rd same thing.....it seems the engine is constanly revving around those rpms when im shifting. Doesnt seem normal to me. Sometimes when hitting the trottle in 2nd, the rpms will go up ....then around the 6k they shoot up like its slipping. Then hitting 3rd it will rev high like i explained earlier. I tend to take each gear to redline and after 1st to 2nd shift i shift without using the clutch lever.

I thought normal.operation would be the rpms dropping to say 5k and then climb each gear change. Is this normal? Em i shifting this bike to aggressively?

Driving in 5th at 60mph and hitting full throttle it doesnt slip. It seems to hold.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I own a 07 vrod muscle and its my first ever bike and im new to riding....
... when i aggressively shift and take it to redline in 1st, ill hit 2nd and the rpms dont seem to drop like i see on other videos and tend to stay in the 7k-8k range then when hitting 3rd same thing.....it seems the engine is constanly revving around those rpms when im shifting. Doesnt seem normal to me. Sometimes when hitting the trottle in 2nd, the rpms will go up ....then around the 6k they shoot up like its slipping. Then hitting 3rd it will rev high like i explained earlier. I tend to take each gear to redline and after 1st to 2nd shift i shift without using the clutch lever.

I thought normal.operation would be the rpms dropping to say 5k and then climb each gear change. Is this normal? Em i shifting this bike to aggressively?

Driving in 5th at 60mph and hitting full throttle it doesnt slip. It seems to hold.
First it will help to know the correct year and model. There was no VRSCF in 2007.

Second, why are you going to redline in 1st? That's not what would be called normal operation unless you're racing. From your description it does sound like clutch slip but normal riding involves shifting around 3000 to 5000 not at 9200.

Also, you can upshift without disengaging the clutch (by backing off torque feed when shifting) but it's not recommended for longest transmission life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sorry for my lack of knowledge on these bikes. You're right, its a regular 2007 vrod and the previous owner did a muscle conversion.

Also this problem only happens when riding aggressive (hence racing). When riding in normal condition, the clutch feels fine and reacts right. I was told that if the oil was low that would cause slippage? But since i fix the stator wire and changed the oil (new 5 qts oil from HD) its been topped off and good levels.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Im sorry for my lack of knowledge on these bikes. You're right, its a regular 2007 vrod and the previous owner did a muscle conversion.

Also this problem only happens when riding aggressive (hence racing). When riding in normal condition, the clutch feels fine and reacts right. I was told that if the oil was low that would cause slippage? But since i fix the stator wire and changed the oil (new 5 qts oil from HD) its been topped off and good levels.
Since you have a 2007 you could benefit from a 2008 and newer "slipper" clutch. This "slip and assist" design is better suited to aggressive riding styles. There's a preassembled slipper clutch kit (P/N 37938-08KA for ≈ $212) that swaps in fairly easy.

Here's a link to the slipper clutch kit instructions.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts

Oil isn't used to make the clutch grab.
Ronl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i was givin false info. Im gonna try the newer clutch that was giving up above in the other post. Hopefully that cures it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts