Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my clutch slipping on my 05'SE when shifting hard at higher speeds. I've been reading threads for about the past hour and some say it should due to the slipper clutch. I tried Amsoil 20W50 synthetic to see if this would help, but it still does it now and then. One question I have is: did this model come with a slipper, and is there any way to find out other than disassembly. I am going to change the hydraulic fluid in the system today and re-bleed to see if this helps.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
No yours did not come with a slipper clutch, Changing the fluid more than likely want help, not a bad idea to do every so often thou.. How many miles are on the bike and whats your riding style? I go thru about 2-3 clutches a year but I have a very aggressive riding style...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No yours did not come with a slipper clutch, Changing the fluid more than likely want help, not a bad idea to do every so often thou.. How many miles are on the bike and whats your riding style? I go thru about 2-3 clutches a year but I have a very aggressive riding style...
I don't road race it daily, but when I'm riding along and get the chance I'll kick it down a gear, crack the throttle and run it up to 100 or so. I think I'm a little more aggressive than the average rider, but I'm not the madman I was at 20. The bike has roughly 12,000 miles and runs great. As I said, I put the Amsoil in about 2 weeks ago and noticed no difference. I think I'll start looking at installing a new slipper clutch. Any suggestions on best place to buy and brand?
Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't know anyone who isn't happy with the Harley slipper clutch. Zanotti's and Chicago HD both sell parts at a significant discount. I believe it is a direct swap. Member RSC even has a video to show you how to do it but you should also have a service manual before you start.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The way I understand the operation of a slipper clutch is that the ramps in the clutch lock the clutch down more tightly as more torque is applied but allow the clutch to slip on downshifts if to prevent the rear wheel from skidding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know anyone who isn't happy with the Harley slipper clutch. Zanotti's and Chicago HD both sell parts at a significant discount. I believe it is a direct swap. Member RSC even has a video to show you how to do it but you should also have a service manual before you start.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I have both HD service manuals, and will have no problem doing the install. Do you replace the entire clutch assembly(housing), or is it just springs,clutches and drive discs?

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
personally I would say bleeding helps {especially if this thing has never been bled over the past 4 yrs or so}...... but you may want to bleed without actually doing the complete fluid flush so you know if it's actually better then before...if it gets better then do a complete flush..... and if neither works to solve the slipping....get the new slipper for about $200.00 and your done...it comes complete and no screwing around......it does not pay to rebuilt your stock clutch for the cost of the complete slipper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
who makes the HD slipper clutch?
There's one on ebay for sale by a seller called vrodsrus. I e-mailed the seller to see if it is a complete unit that will work on my 05' SE and I asked who made it. He said the unit was complete and would fit my 05'. He did not say who made it. I sent another e-mail this morning to find out if it is genuine HD. I'll post when I get an answer.
The item number on ebay is 320491476187.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Does this clutch is a reliable alternative for racing or are there better options available? I also have a 05 CVO. Btw I've got stuff from vrods-r-us on ebay and have had no problems at all, any details we should be aware of?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that clutch your looking at also includes the gear assembly and you don't need that...also that seller has a history here you might want to research before buying........ here is one from a dealer that will work for ya http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARL...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5f312f69

also a couple more here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCRE...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255bcc1b91

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scre...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ada9327e7
Thanks for the input and the links. I'm going to order one tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts