Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have an 02 and i believe the clutch is going south. i bought used with 4k on it and have added another 4k. is this about right for replacement with average wear and tear? it slips with the slightest touch of the clutch lever.

2nd, is the Barnett a good choose for replacement (part# DS-223474 @ $130)? it claims kevlar and an extra plate added. i'm a ok do it yourselfer, but am i getting in over my head thinking i can change this out myself? special tools, technique, help me out before i end up begging for help! thanks, lee.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Lots of opinions on this one, but I say why not buy a 08 slipper clutch and put in, or simply go back with stock....I dont see why you need the barnett's

If you read the service manual it says you need a special tool from harley to hold the pack still while you torque the main nut. I have seen post ranging from just use an impact wrench to using straps to hold the basket.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I ran a barnett extra plate clutch and the steels warped.

Stick with the stock one, get a slipper clutch replacement if you are so inclined. It'll run a bit more $280 or so.

:2cents:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
how could you need a clutch with only 8,000 miles?????

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
All it takes is one failed burnout attempt and you can cook the clutch. Take the bike to the dragstrip for the day, and you may need one then too.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Wow...I am really surprised...I have ton plenty of track days on my old sportbikes and never had a problem with the clutch

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
rjrivero said:
All it takes is one failed burnout attempt and you can cook the clutch. Take the bike to the dragstrip for the day, and you may need one then too.

Really?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I think the new slipper clutch would be the way to go,especially for a novice.The unit is modular and slides right in.For what you get,$280 is not a bad price either.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
I think the new slipper clutch would be the way to go,especially for a novice.The unit is modular and slides right in.For what you get,$280 is not a bad price either.

Elrod on the V-Rod
The dealer told me that the stock clutch had to be ordered in pieces. Fricitons, and steels. The total price they quoted was $375. for reference. Isn't there supposed to be a stock clutch kit too? :confused:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
rjrivero said:
The dealer told me that the stock clutch had to be ordered in pieces. Fricitons, and steels. The total price they quoted was $375. for reference. Isn't there supposed to be a stock clutch kit too? :confused:
I don't think there is a "kit" offered from the MoCo,whenever I've looked at the parts book they have always been listed individually.
The price on each individual plate is high but then so are the plates and frictions for auto trans at dealers,sometimes more than 10 times the amount I pay at my suppliers which are still OE's.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JDR_ROD said:
i was asking the forum members if 8k was the average life for a clutch or is it on the low end. i don't do burnouts but i can't say for the first 4k miles as the bike was used when i bought it. is the Barnett for racing applications i wonder? thanks, lee.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
stumpworks said:
i was asking the forum members if 8k was the average life for a clutch or is it on the low end. i don't do burnouts but i can't say for the first 4k miles as the bike was used when i bought it. is the Barnett for racing applications i wonder? thanks, lee.
Barnett makes 2 versions of the clutch, with 2 different compounds.

So you have the Stock barnett clutch in either kevlar or carbon fiber

And you have the extra plate barnett clutch in eithe kevlar or carbon fiber

"They SAY" the carbon fiber isn't as smooth, grips a bit more and is for more "performance oreiented" riding.

"They SAY" the Kevlar is more smooth for day to day riding.

The "extra plate" system they have includes an extra friction plate and extra steel. The overall pack height has to stay within specs, so the extra plate kit makes it a bit more difficult to find neutral. Not to mention the steels are thinner (read: Can warp more easily)

Hope this helps.

RJ

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
I don't think there is a "kit" offered from the MoCo,whenever I've looked at the parts book they have always been listed individually.
The price on each individual plate is high but then so are the plates and frictions for auto trans at dealers,sometimes more than 10 times the amount I pay at my suppliers which are still OE's.

Elrod on the V-Rod
Thanks, AL. I thought my Dealer was trying to bend me over again. ;)

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
rjrivero said:
RJ did you try this PT# 37938-08K ? This is suppose to be a complete assy.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
well ive thrashed my 02 vrod for 78000 and no clutch probs,. the previous owner either drag raced it or maybee, have you aftermarket levers.they can cause a slip problem by not allowing the master cyl piston to return properly.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
stumpworks said:
I replaced mine around 4700, give or take, with a Barnett Extra Plate Kevlar and am VERY happy with it. I have been down the track a few times with no problems, including a dozen runs with about 5 minutes between them. Yes, it can be a little more difficult to find neutral once and a while but I have learned to just tap it from second and it drops right in.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Someone clear this up for me, how can a standard clutch cost almost 4 bills and a slipper clutch 3 bills. In the sportbike racing world its opposite, slippers are like 7 bills and regular clutch is around 150. Or is the 08 slipper not your standard slipper clutch? I don't know.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pecee said:
well ive thrashed my 02 vrod for 78000 and no clutch probs,. the previous owner either drag raced it or maybee, have you aftermarket levers.they can cause a slip problem by not allowing the master cyl piston to return properly.
thanks, no mine are stock levers. i read in another post about those problems. lee

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
gsxrdoug said:
Someone clear this up for me, how can a standard clutch cost almost 4 bills and a slipper clutch 3 bills. In the sportbike racing world its opposite, slippers are like 7 bills and regular clutch is around 150. Or is the 08 slipper not your standard slipper clutch? I don't know.
Just doesn't add up does it? And the Harley slipper has more labor involved because it's assembled.
I just don't have a problem w the barnett EP carbon fiber and I've beat the hell out of it ,neutral is never a problem.

stumpworks,ya never know what the other rider was like on the clutch,alot of novice riders are hard on the V-Rod clutch,some due to the increased lever effort.This is where I think you'll like the new Harley slipper clutch,it has reduced effort.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 19 of 19 Posts