Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How thick are the shims in a clutch (like for an Aim)?
I want to shim my stock springs a bit and need to know what the ballpark thickness should be.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Pondo said:
How thick are the shims in a clutch (like for an Aim)?
I want to shim my stock springs a bit and need to know what the ballpark thickness should be.
Thanks
Both the shims and my calipers are at home, but for reference, about the thickness of a fender washer (as far as I can remember from the install)

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steppenwolf said:
Both the shims and my calipers are at home, but for reference, about the thickness of a fender washer (as far as I can remember from the install)
I was going to use a fender washer or stack them to the proper thickness. So that would be 1/32 or so then, right?

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Pondo said:
I was going to use a fender washer or stack them to the proper thickness. So that would be 1/32 or so then, right?
well, the diameter is WAY less than a fender washer... they are pretty much the same diameter as the springs, so I would use 'regular' washers. Only problem then might be making sure the washers are all the same thickness - in my experiences rummaging through bins at hardware stores, washers seem to vary greatly in thickness. But yeah... I would guess about 1/32" or so. I'm running two shims with my AIM - pull feels about the same as stock, but engagement is REALLY solid. You having trouble with the stock setup slipping?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Pondo said:
I saw the aim install at MWTII and there were some parts that were about 1/8" thick. Here's a pic of the AIM:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=742786&postcount=1
I just want to know for sure that 1/32-1/16 was going to do something and I didn't need to go 1/8 or more.
The thicker spacers are not the shims. They are spacers for the screws against the clutch hub. You don't have to worry about them. The spacers are about the thickness of a washer. I should be able to get you a measurement tonight. Call me later.

RJ

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
...which is about 1/17", so a 1/16" would be about right as a start. Thanks for the post Joe - I'm sitting here with my fingers this far apart, trying to remember how thick the shims were...

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some from the hardware store. I brought a caliper with me and went thru the bin to find 5 that are the same thickness (.065). I don't know if they'll work because the ID is .3125 and the screws are 6mm (.236). If not, I'll leave them out. I think the problem was the steels - they are FOCKED up! Blue in all kinds of shades.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Pondo said:
I got some from the hardware store. I brought a caliper with me and went thru the bin to find 5 that are the same thickness (.065). I don't know if they'll work because the ID is .3125 and the screws are 6mm (.236). If not, I'll leave them out. I think the problem was the steels - they are FOCKED up! Blue in all kinds of shades.
Don't know if the shims will be much help. The true beauty of the AIM is the centrifugal lock up mechanism. Way cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts