Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Oberon Clutch slave yesterday and did a clutch fluid flush.
When I finished I now hear a little sound, like a popping or suction sound when i pull in the clutch.
I pulled the cover off and pulled slowly on the lever and I see what I thought was air bubbles shooting out a pin hole at the bottom
of the reservoir, but looking again, it looks like it's fluid shooting up.
Is this normal? I did
I did follow the manual for flushing the Clutch line. I also used a vacuum bleeder to help with the process since I was doing a
flush.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When I finished I now hear a little sound, like a popping or suction sound when i pull in the clutch.
I pulled the cover off and pulled slowly on the lever and I see what I thought was air bubbles shooting out a pin hole at the bottom
Is this normal? I did
I did follow the manual for flushing the Clutch line. I also used a vacuum bleeder to help with the process since I was doing a
flush.
Normal. It's how the valving works
Ron

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is this normal? I did
flush.
I suggest eye protection when working with brake/clutch
fluid....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@stevemcgov, Luckily I did read a post about bleeding the clutch earlier on and remembered them saying to squeeze very slowly. I did and now I see why.
@Ron, thanks for letting me know, I can stop worrying about it now. I thought I did something wrong.
a little later after I posted this and saw your reply, I started it up for the first time this season and just did a little test with the clutch in the garage (weather outside was raining and still cold) and it seemed to be working fine.
Thanks guys for the replies, I do appreciate it.

·
VRSC est -03
2,504 Posts
Is this normal? I did
flush.
Any feedback of Oberon slave? Thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I put one of those slaves on over the winter. It is definitely a smoother pull. Very well machined. For me, I'm happy with it. I have recurring issues with tendonitis so it helps with in traffic situations. Honestly though, it's not night and day difference, but, works well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Knut J, For the Oberon Clutch Slave. Pretty much what Moler said.
I wanted to know for sure if there was an improvement on pull of the clutch so before I installed the oberon, I took a hanging weight scale and attached on end to the clutch lever and pulled on the other end of the scale to see how many pounds it would take to pull on the clutch lever. I read 10 pounds before the lever hit the handle. I did this three times to make sure it was accurate. 10 lbs was the number.
I did the same process after installing the Oberon, I read 8 lbs. Now again, I agree with what Moler said on the hardware and any hand issues. Keep in mind I have not ridden the bike yet, the weather here yesterday was crap. I don’t know after a few miles on the bike If it will get better or not. So without doing some real world riding, I can’t say if it is worth it or not.
I hope this helps.
Mark

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm glad you did a before and after test on it. Very interesting. 20% reduction is substantial I would say.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, that should be 20% reduction, not bad.
Add a slipper clutch and yourè close to a voice activated clutch handle :).
Thank you guys for update.
I figured the slipper clutch would allow harder down shifts, and be safer. But an easier pull?
I should do the slipper with OB slave cylinder, w/my OB levers it would be real smooth and EZ. Thx

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I figured the slipper clutch would allow harder down shifts, and be safer. But an easier pull?
I should do the slipper with OB slave cylinder, w/my OB levers it would be real smooth and EZ. Thx
4 springs as opposed to 5. The ramping increases the clutch pack pressure under load even better then just 5 springs would. This lack of initial spring pressure makes the lever feel quite light actually.
Ron

·
VRSC est -03
2,504 Posts
I did a search here:

Screamin' Eagle® Performance Slipper Clutch for VRSC™ Models

This clutch offers reduced lever effort and improved performance. The unique "slip and assist" ramp system opens the two halves of the clutch hubs slightly during high loads to the drive train, allowing a moderate slip that reduces shock to the drivetrain during rapid downshifting. The resulting reduction in wheel hop allows maximum contact between the tire and the road in wet or slippery conditions. Clutch lever effort is also reduced by 20% in 1130cc and 30% on 1250cc applications.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I did a search here:

This clutch offers reduced lever effort and improved performance. The unique "slip and assist" ramp system opens the two halves of the clutch hubs slightly during high loads to the drive train, allowing a moderate slip that reduces shock to the drivetrain during rapid downshifting. The resulting reduction in wheel hop allows maximum contact between the tire and the road in wet or slippery conditions. Clutch lever effort is also reduced by 20% in 1130cc and 30% on 1250cc applications.
What am I missing here with the 1130+1250. Same clutch. Must be different slave or master bore dia's?
Ron
I did a search here:

To lazy to look it up but I take it the slave or master bores account for that 10% difference between the 1130+1250 since the clutch itself is identical?/
Ron

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm curious now as well. I thought the master cylinders were the same from 06 and up, my 06 rebuild kit is same as 2012 model. Oberon part#s are the same for all clutch slave. Unless oem clutch slave is different.. Idk. Curious though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts