Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post (I think on this forum) by someone who has replaced their clutch with an aftermarket. I'm thinking of replacing mine at the same time my engine is being replaced. Anyone with recomendations? Clutch recomendations would probably be based on the kind of driving we do. I would rate myself as 5 on a 1-10 aggressive riding scale but just can't turn down an invitation to show what the bike is capable of. Also, if an aftermarket clutch is put in, what effect would this have on the warranty?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Just curious - why are you replacing it?? The thread I saw showed a pretty badly burned clutch (MonsterMax??).

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I think Kaz has replaced his. The factory clutch is pretty weak if I were to do any motor work I would suggest installing the aftermarket clutch myself. Several vendors have good clutches to replace the factory clutch with.

Max

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
The best clutch on the market for performance is the BARNETT extra plate clutch kit. Sells for about $110.00. Great upgrade.

John

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason for replacing it is mostly because of opportunity. My clutch doesn't slip but does tend to grab. After reading about a couple burnt clutches, I though this would be a good idea because I have over 14K miles on my '03. BARNETT, thanks Ketsugo, I'll check it out.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I may have missed it but why is your engine being replaced?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
OK thanks for the response.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Call Sam Terranova at Turbo Tech USA/Cycle Dynamics 1-602-242-6099 he has what you need!Tell him I referd ya!;)

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
:confused:

The "grabbing clutch" thing.... Mine does that when I am letting it out at about 2/3s lever travel. goes from nice smooth engagement to full engagement, but it is not consistent, which can be disconcerting at times. I thought this was a, H-D Thing, but am wondering if I should have the morons at my dealer look at it before the 1 year runs out. Any suggestions? '03 with 4800mi on her, pretty much stock for now. H-d S3 since breakin.

Thanks
Greg

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just talked to my local HD shop about warranty issues when replacing with an aftermarket clutch. Their answer was "yes" it will have an negative impact on my drive train warranty..... but they also said if I should decide to do this, they will try to take care of any warranty issues that may arise because of this replacement (sure I believe this). Oh well, swell idea anyway and thanks for the responses.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
THATS TOTAL BULLSHIT!:mad: Have them install it and that should be that!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I agree totally with Kaz, this whole voids your warranty thing that the Mo Co and the dealers are trying to force down our throat is such BS. The bottom line, they have to be able to PROVE the modification caused the problem for them to deny a claim, period. Of course the modified component isn't covered but thats' not the issue.

They've got people running scared afraid to use non Mo Co oil or non Mo Co antifreeze or non Mo Co clutch's, brake shoes, etc, etc. Hell, even if you buy a Mo Co made part (SE) they do the whole "void the warranty" dance.

My philosophy, change what you don't like, upgrade what the Mo Co saw fit to cheap out on and enjoy your bike. If the part you upgraded / modified breaks, fix it! If the bike starts leaking oil and they refuse your claim because you have a SuperTrapp muffler then sue their ass, their wrong! :2cents

Oh, I almost forgot, there are laws in place that cover these issues. In short, you can replace any wear component with a part of equal or greater specification without voiding your warrany. The only way they can require you to use Mo Co specific items to maintain your warranty is if they provide those parts free of charge. (wear parts, not things like pipes ;))

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got word my new engine is in and will be put in the bike next week. With the new engine comes a new clutch so I won't pursue an aftermarket clutch. I do agree the MoCo is installing fear in many of us. But I wonder if I could have gotten this new engine if I had made any mods to my engine or exhaust. THIS WAS the first question they asked me when my problems started and I wanted something done about it.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gregg687,

I also talked to my local service folks about the clutch grabbing thing. They said it's probably just an adjustment that is needed to take care of the problem.

Ted

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Thanks ihringert (Ted),
Appreciate the effort. Will try to talk to my stealer today. I just hit my 5000 miles, and it's time for a service again. I have no faith in those guys over there, but I suppose it's better if I can get it in on the warranty. I will keep the forum up to date on the solution, if any.
Greg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Its called teh Magnusson Moss warranty act. It basically says that it is incumbant upon the mfg to prove that the change was the ONLY reason. Not a contributing reason for a failure.

It's true you can sue them. But keep in mind that many many of these never see the legle system because to cost upon you to persue it is usually to great.

HD warranties SUCK! Their extended warranties SUCK!!! and the law is on your side, but making it happen is something else entirely.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
This is the one thing that erks me about HD policy. The dealership is waiting like a vulture after you buy your bike to sell you chrome upgrade parts galore. If you do the work it voids the warranty on the part you worked on. If they do the work it cost you an arm and a leg in labor cost. Its really a vicious circle isn't it.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Manhorse,

Check again! Installing HD parts does not void the warranty on the part. Dealerships cannot tie the installation to the warranty unless they are offering the installation for free. It's called a warranty tie-in and it's illegal. It also cannot void the warranty of the part it's connected to unless they can prove the installation caused the failure.

The only caveat, most of the SE parts do not come with a warranty and in their literature they use a non descript clause that installation of the part (dealer or not, it makes no difference) MAY void your warranty :( They don't state what part it might void because most people will simply take whatever the dealer says as gospel. Another reality, it cannot void the warranty on anything unless it's proved to have caused the failure.

This is all well and good except that if you have a prick for a dealer then you'll have to take them and Harley to court to get what's due you.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
What about the damage caused by the Frame Bags. I installed mine exactly as the instructions say and the dealer told me that since they did not install it there would be no chance of it being covered.

It wore the paint off the frame and belt guard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts