Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2007 night rod, I bought about two weeks ago and started having clutch issues so I flushed the system and still same result, when I flushed it the fluid was pretty bad, looked like coffee with French Vanilla creamer. So I ordered new friction plates and steel drive plates, I got the everything off and swapped out, now I am at a stand still with the center nut. (Used air impact to get it off) I inspected the nut and everything is good to go (manual suggests replacing it). I don’t want to impact it on because i want to get it to the tight torque spec (162ftlbs) but I do not have the specialty tool nor can I think of any ideas on how to stop the basket from moving once I start put the nut on. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brett

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
try renting a torque wrench from your local tool rental place.
To keep it from rotating put the bike in 4-5 gear and have someone stand on the rear brake. Worked for me.
I torqued mine to 150 lbs because that is as high as my wrench would go. Then gave it another shot.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
SE basket time

Most likely your clutch basket Springs on the backside are shot!
I had a bad chatter taking off from a stop mostly when it was cold and I just started to ride. Turned out the stock clutch baskets have a really crappy designed to hold the torque springs in. It's hard to see but they ware deep grooves in the aluminum. I installed an SE basket that has anodized aluminum to strengthen it, and allow for less wear and tear at the Springs. It cured all of my clutch problems. At a minimum I would at least install a stock clutch basket before you close it up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Be careful with a torque stick. Those are really just a torsion spring, and a good impact puts out 450 ft/lb and can easily overpower the stick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts