Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to adjust the point at which the clutch grabs? Seems like almost ALL the way OUT on my bike. How does this compare to other muscles? Thanks.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
normal.....:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok ive been fighting the dealer about this for 40,000 miles. when I first got mine and for the first 15k the clutch started to grab as soon as you started to release the lever, then all of the sudden it changed to not grabbing until it was almost all the way out. at the same time it felt like I lost a bunch of power in first gear. im not so concerned about the release point as I am about the power. it use to be scary fast in first. like hold on with both hands. now I can run it wide open up to the limiter in first gear with one hand....and im not at all happy about that. mine is stock with a K&N filter.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
run it up to about 55 mph.

hold it there for a couple of seconds.

Then go WOT and look at the RPM does the RPM increase with very little speed increase or does the speed increase with the RPM

This will tell you if the clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think its slipping. im not sure where it went. I put a clutch in it at 40 k just cause I was mad. and it was like brand new. im thinkin its engine management. I had it on a dyno and it made like 112 and 115 with the top off. im at a loss though. I miss my fast bike....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ok ive been fighting the dealer about this for 40,000 miles. when I first got mine and for the first 15k the clutch started to grab as soon as you started to release the lever, then all of the sudden it changed to not grabbing until it was almost all the way out. at the same time it felt like I lost a bunch of power in first gear. im not so concerned about the release point as I am about the power. it use to be scary fast in first. like hold on with both hands. now I can run it wide open up to the limiter in first gear with one hand....and im not at all happy about that. mine is stock with a K&N filter.
Could it be you are just getting used to the massive power surge?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep everything nice and clean, it has a k&n filter. that I keep very clean, in fact once a year I get some t-body spray and a pick and clean the ports all the way down to the intake valve. it has oe plugs. it gets oil changes every 5k with h-d syn 3 oil.

I don't think i'm just getting used to it. I mean let me ask you all. can you pull first gear wide open, to the limiter sitting upright with only one hand on the handlebars?

·
Registered
727 Posts
When was the last time you changed the plugs?

My local HD shop told me they recommend every 5k, I had called about my 10k service and was kinda blown away that v rods eat plugs that fast. Guess it's time lol

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Tobsta,
No adjustment possible. 90%+- on lever release before engaging is normal.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I keep everything nice and clean, it has a k&n filter. that I keep very clean, in fact once a year I get some t-body spray and a pick and clean the ports all the way down to the intake valve. it has oe plugs. it gets oil changes every 5k with h-d syn 3 oil.

I don't think i'm just getting used to it. I mean let me ask you all. can you pull first gear wide open, to the limiter sitting upright with only one hand on the handlebars?
Oil could make a huge different with clutching.

I had HD Syn 3 Oil when I brought it and it was horrible. Too hot and rough clutching. So I switched to AMSOIL and it was so smooth and cooler. After riding her for 10k miles and I decided to try Maxima oil and it was worst of all. I thought clutch was messing up until I switch back to AMSOIL. I am a happy guy again.

I seriously recommend you to switch to AMSOIL if you want a smooth clutching experience.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
When was the last time you changed the plugs?

My local HD shop told me they recommend every 5k, I had called about my 10k service and was kinda blown away that v rods eat plugs that fast. Guess it's time lol
I change the plugs every 10K miles. Never had a problem. Service manual says 10K also.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine looked bad at 10k. My understanding is that unless you're running boost, there is no real advantage to any plug besides the OEM. And it's one thing that HD doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for. Just go to the parts counter at HD and buy what they give you for your bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts