Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase a 2003 for my wife and I noticed a big difference in the clutch where the lever needs to be almost out to engage. I have a 2006 and I can slip (friction) it more and have more control. When this happens in a car to me I would replace the clutch. I did bleed it with no difference. Anyone?

Thx,
David

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Is it the stock clutch pack or upgraded to a slipper?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also watch out comparing a car's clutch to the V-rod or similar bike's clutch. The car's is (almost certainly) a dry clutch and the V-rod's a wet, multi-plate.

Slippage (or lack thereof) cannot be diagnosed the same way between dry and wet clutches. Sorry if you already knew that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought a 2003 last September, but my lever needs to be around half way out before it engages. I told the Harley dealership and they pretty much told me that's a characteristic of the bike and there's nothing you can do about it...after a year, I've just gotten used to it. I don't know if a slipper clutch will make a difference or not and I've never heard of the button mod that ElrodontheV-Rod suggested.

My suggestion is to go to your local Harley dealership and ask them if it needs to be replaced or if that's just the characteristic of your wife's bike (if it is, you can ask if a slipper clutch will work better?). If not, on the bright side your wife won't have to pull the lever all the way in to shift it! Anyways, good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts