Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie and this is my second HD (First - Street Bob) and first V-Rod. It's an 05 VRSCA with 26k on the clock. I recently bought it from a main HD dealer.

The problem I am experiencing seems to happen after I have been riding the bike for say about 30 minutes. It seems really difficult to to move off smoothly after stopping at junctions, traffic lights and in heavy stop/start traffic. I am convinced it's fine for the first 30 minutes or so, when everything to my mind seems smooth.

When hot it quite easy to stall, and if I compensate with more revs, I end up taking off as if I am attempting to break the 1/4 mile acceloration record! That's a bit of a problem when turning 90 degrees sharp left (I am in the UK) at a set of traffic lights. If I don't give the bike enough revs it will probably stall or it will jump about as if I have tried to move away in 3rd gear. All in all it's not very nice to ride in urban situations.

Once on it's way it's fine, gear changes are fine and there is not any clutch slippage that I have noticed in 5th. The only other thing I have noticed is that when ithe engine is cold or near cold, I can engage neutral easily. When it's hot I can't and it jumps from 1st to 2nd to 1st to 2nd and so on. It's more luck than skill if I can get neutral when hot.

I would really appreciate your comments as I don't want to go back to the dealer if this is actually normal or it just due to my inexperience.

BTW I can't recall have any clutch issues with my Street Bob, so it's maybe not me after all.

Thanks.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
What you're describing sounds clutch related.

Weather the clutch is wearing or the hydraulic fluid system on the clutch lever side needs to be addressed is a bit difficult to ascertain from your description.

If you are cruising on the road at say 4,000 rpm nice and steady and then suddenly rip the throttle WIDE OPEN does the bike take off as you expect, or does the engine rev up slightly and then start to accelerate? Not exactly scientific, but if your bike is very responsive with this manuver, then you need to pay attention to your hydraulic line/lever. If the engine revs and then the bike starts to accelerate, get yourself a new clutch.

Hard to find neutral issue when warm can be due to warped clutch plates, or decreased fluid pressure in the clutch line as well.

If there are no signs of slippage, I'll bet that you need to change the fluid in the clutch hydraulics.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i have seen some of these problems on v-rods that the clutch fluid is contaminated.. try bleeding the system with new brake fluid ,, i would bet lunch that will help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks i will have a look at changing the clutch fluid. I don't think the clutch is slipping as I have not sensed and issues in that respect. I am aware of what a slipping clutch is like when in 5th, but I will double check.

There is definately a problem finding neutral when hot, which is annoying. Especially if its due to warped plates. That sounds costly, so maybe I will take it back to the dealer and see if they will deal with it under warranty.

Advice as always - is appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts