Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what makes a clutch do that clattering thing? My stock clutch always was a little noisy but when I installed the slipper it got much louder and it seems like the louder my pipes the louder the clutch.
I can hear my slipper clutch over my BUB 7 2-1 pipes.

It's been installed for quite a while, my guess 10,000 miles, and it has always been that way.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
My stock clutch is quite but the Ducati is very loud. The noise goes away when it is ingaged. It is a dry clutch and when spining in the basket there is nothing to dampen the noise.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Rusty,it's probably the tangs on the clutch rattling in the basket.
You should be able to run the bike in neutral and hang your head down by the clutch cover and hear the sound change as you disengage and engage it.
my 1130 is more audible than the 1250 because of the mileage.They are also louder when hot.

·
George
5,411 Posts
I can't think of a good reason, but when mine chatters, I flush the fluid, and it goes away. Might be imagining it, but its been about 3 occurrences so far since I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's noisy up until about 2K rpm's Then it seems to ease up but not entirely.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It's noisy up until about 2K rpm's Then it seems to ease up but not entirely.
Is this while you are rolling with the clutch engaged?

I rode an 02 the other week that was so quiet when I was rolling down the highway,that it made my 2 sound like they were coming apart.
My 03 was this quiet when new.It gradually became noisy.
One day I am going to snatch the engine out and replace the cams, gears and chain,along w the crank,pistons heads and.....................

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Most noticeable when starting up in first and second gears.
It seems real quiet with stock pipes on it but who wants to ride with stock pipes. Gets worse with V-Mods. Even moreso with the Rineharts and Bub 7 pipes I have had on.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yes, Most noticeable when starting up in first and second gears.
It seems real quiet with stock pipes on it but who wants to ride with stock pipes. Gets worse with V-Mods. Even moreso with the Rineharts and Bub 7 pipes I have had on.
Come on man,now you sound like a customer.:)
If the the noise aint there w the stock pipes,I seriously doubt it's the clutch.
Maybe you should be leaning toward the pipes.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What I hear, and feel in the clutch lever, is some chatter if I do not release the clutch fully as I add rpm. It feels to me like a hydraulic hammer effect because the clutch lever buzzes pretty hard when it happens.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come on man,now you sound like a customer.:)
If the the noise aint there w the stock pipes,I seriously doubt it's the clutch.
Maybe you should be leaning toward the pipes.
Probably perception but if I pull the clutch lever in the noise goes away. It could be some kind of resonance since the clutch is real close to the pipes.

ps: I didn't say it wasn't there with the stock pipes only that is is quiet(er) with stock pipes.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I hear, and feel in the clutch lever, is some chatter if I do not release the clutch fully as I add rpm. It feels to me like a hydraulic hammer effect because the clutch lever buzzes pretty hard when it happens.
I can reproduce the same buzz. There have been other reports on the forum of the same issue. I don't consider it an issue because you have only partially engaged the clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts