Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever notice their clutch master cylinder seeping? i think its the master up on the bars, i swear is leaks just the slightest bit on the seem where the top seals

·
Registered
248 Posts
Absolutely! i have an 07DX and mine is actually starting to bubble the paint, took it in for warranty replacement and they wanted to keep it for a week, i told em i'd be back when the riding season was over

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
It's a known problem. More than one thing can cause it, from a manufacturer defect to too much torque on the screws. Be careful to keep it clean until it's repaired, DOT4 is hard on paint. And powdercoat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are they gunna repowder coat or repaint as part of the repair ? my paints already bubble

·
Dean
775 Posts
are they gunna repowder coat or repaint as part of the repair ? my paints already bubble
I had the same issue a couple of times with the clutch and brake master...the paint appeared to bubble as well. They were able to buff it out and it looks as good as new.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
I replaced the gasket within 12 months of getting my bike... its really important to NOT over tighten them or the gaskets will leak

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i finally got around to calling my HD dealer about my leaky master cylinder,( i decided to just buy the gasket myself bc the price isnt worth the lossed riding time ot drop it off and wait for them to fix it,) the guy tells me theres on in stock and then says thats a 2010 ? isnt that under warranty ? and i explain my thinking, he tells me rbing him my regi and my old cap and gasket and he'll do the warrenty for me. now thats pretty cool of him

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Service like that is a bit unusual at a HD dealer, but there are some good ones out there. You're lucky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i was thinking he didnt even cringe when i told him i was looking for parts for a night rod

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2003 V-ROD...Local HD tech said to be careful with the torque on the screws in order not to bend the Master cylinder cover. So, at home I was careful about the torque and tried turning the cover around 180 deg... however, it still leaked. He also said the rubber gasket may be saturated with brake fluid and said to try and dry it out before reinstalling. Before I got a chance to do it myself, I returned to the HD dealer for an unrelated issue and the same tech dried my seal by using some (brake cleaner? or Isopropyl alcohol?) to stiffen the seal and hasn't leaked since.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Absolutely! i have an 07DX and mine is actually starting to bubble the paint, took it in for warranty replacement and they wanted to keep it for a week, i told em i'd be back when the riding season was over
got both my clutch res cover and master cylinder covers replaced last week for this.

My shop ordered the parts and when they came in I rolled up and dude had em swapped in about 10 minutes once he finished ringing out a few other people that they had just got done working on their bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts