Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new clutch in my 2009 vrod muscle. I took the cheaper route and instead of buying the pre assembled clutch pack from Harley I purchased the kit from Barnett. I followed the directions to the letter and actually did it twice to make sure I didn’t mess anything up because of the problems I’m having. I can’t pull my clutch lever in at all any ideas would be helpful

·
Registered
826 Posts
clutch

Remove the clutch slave cylinder and carefully press the clutch lever, not all the way, just enough to see if lever moves. If it does something is wrong in clutch pack. Clutches possibly stack wrong etc. Did u put the plates back in their original place. They may be distorted. Why did u change the clutch?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I thought my clutch was going out because the lever would be almost all the way out before it started to grab. I did what you suggested and and it moved perfectly. I did put the clutch back the same way I took it apart. I also followed Barnett’s instructions.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
At this point I would fully disassemble and make sure you haven't damaged any parts. Make sure the frictions and steels are perfectly flat.

As an FYI: Clutch engaging at the point you describe is normal. Indication of wear is slipping. I'd put the old parts back on unless worn out.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Well I thought my clutch was going out because the lever would be almost all the way out before it started to grab. I did what you suggested and and it moved perfectly. I did put the clutch back the same way I took it apart. I also followed Barnett?s instructions.
That's perfectly normal for the slipper hydraulic clutch . Not sure if the regular clutch behaves this way. Never own one.
Non the less, most people with hydraulic clutches bitch about a lack of friction zone and the clutch engaging near the end of lever. Even the pirate boys on their baggers.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently installed a new clutch in my 2009 vrod muscle. I took the cheaper route and instead of buying the pre assembled clutch pack from Harley I purchased the kit from Barnett. I followed the directions to the letter and actually did it twice to make sure I didn’t mess anything up because of the problems I’m having. I can’t pull my clutch lever in at all any ideas would be helpful

Dear Jedens611. I did the exact thing you did and im having the same problem. My clutch lever will not depress. I DissNassed the clutch three times now ensuring it was put together properly. I followed the service manual and they say nothing about this problem. Did you fix your problem yet or did you end up just bringing it to a mech.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did I can’t remember exactly I put the plates in the wrong order. I used the Barnett clutch and there are a few plates that are different I think they label them a and b plates I put those in the wrong order so double check that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you! It was that simple. The plate layout from Barnett did not show every individual plate. The last plate and the first two are the smaller tightly spaced friction plates and all the rest are the larger ones. This saved me so much! thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts