Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a 37938-08ka slipper clutch kit for my vrsca -04. Am I supposed to change the clutch fluid to DOT 4 as opposed to the DOT 5 when stock?

- it has been on shelf for years, should I dissasembly and soak in oil again?

sorry if it has been up before, couldn’t find the info

Thank you :)

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Hei.
Det er ingen grunn til å bytte over til dot4. Du skal fortsette med dot5. Når det gjelder clutchpakken ville jeg nok kanskje demontert den og lagt lamellene i oljebad.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hei.
Det er ingen grunn til å bytte over til dot4. Du skal fortsette med dot5. Når det gjelder clutchpakken ville jeg nok kanskje demontert den og lagt lamellene i oljebad.
I am sure this must translate as
The fluid is for the hydraulics and has no bearing on the clutch type. If your master cyl and slave cyl are still the 04 ones then stick to DOT5 :)
(for the benefit of us English speaking) No offense meant Knut :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, and he also said that he would probably disassembly the clutch pack and soak the discs in new oil again. Thanks for clarifying Coastrider ??

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Spot on guys.
(y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question - whats the torque spec for the clutch hub nut? The 30mm one.
Yes I did buy the manual but the delivery time is 4 weeks and I can’t wait that long :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Another question - whats the torque spec for the clutch hub nut? The 30mm one.
Yes I did buy the manual but the delivery time is 4 weeks and I can’t wait that long :)
Clutch Hub Nut Torque is 220Nm or 162 ft lbs.
Don't forget do NOT let the engine rotate clockwise!! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks brother, appreciate it alot. Haven’t bought the clutch holding tool so I assume it Will be challenging to hold it by hand with an electric impact wrench but I figured ill try as people manage it without. How many degrees would be acceptable without Messing with the cam timing?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Thanks brother, appreciate it alot. Haven’t bought the clutch holding tool so I assume it Will be challenging to hold it by hand with an electric impact wrench but I figured ill try some people manage it without. How many degrees would be acceptable without Messing with the cam timing?
You don't really want it turning that way at all as it pushes the chain back against the tensioners and creates slack the other side which can let the cams sprockets jump in the chain. Also you really don't want to be using an impact wrench for tightening it. Should be done with a hand torque wrench. You will probably hold it by putting it in gear and getting somebody to stand on the rear brake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll use that advice of yours and not go with the impact. Respect for teaching a fellow. I owe you one. ??

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Some folks get an assistant to sit on the bike and hold the rear brake with the transmission in first gear while the clutch nut is tightened. Works pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts