Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch fluid had lot of black swirls so I decided it was time to change the fluid.

What a pain, the bleeder is a screw not a nipple.

I decided for a creative solution…

Make a path for the fluid to follow and have it drain using clear tubing.

I used Flextra – Thermoplastic (available at hardware stores) to create a plastic funnel attached to the inside clutch cover. It’s not like typical silicone, wet your fingers so it’s doesn’t stick and create a funnel shape. Mend and shape the funnel.

Clear Tubing – place the tubing in the bottom of the make shift tunnel, use tape to hold it in place while it dries. Leave it for the next day.

I used a small scoop to drain the reservoir. The rag was very black from impurities after I wiped it out using a small wooden skewer and a rag.

Test the thermoplastic funnel with water before the actual clutch fluid change.

After pumping the clutch lever 5 times, reverse out the screw a half turn.

**Very important trick** Jiggle the screw head with the screw driver. It will keep the fluid flowing around the seal. Otherwise it will take forever…..

I leave the end of the tub horizontal so I can see as soon as the fluid changes in color. The fluid will actually back up in the tube.

Assuming it’s never been changed by previous owners, the bike is a 2004 with 12,000km. I changed the fluid in 2018 and you can see how black it is.

I used a small piece of plastic to catch any drips if the thermoplastic funnel leaked (it didn’t)
The thermoplastic removes very easily, not like the stickiness of silicone.

I also puncture two small holes in the top of the fluid container, one to pour from and one to let air in. It’s much easier to control the amount of fluid and prevent spillage.

Never let the reservoir get too low to suck it air, refill it to the fill line once it’s at the half way empty point.

Your hand will feel the reduced clutch pressure as it bleeds out.

I probably refilled the reservoir 15 times before it the new fluid ran through, it takes about 20 min.

Don’t over tighten the reservoir screws and distort the gasket.

Pictures are mainly in order. Good luck and safe travels.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Learn something new every day, I was treating it as less corrosive but still trying to keep the fluid off the paint-chrome. Thanks for the info....
Now when I'm doing my brakes I won't be as concerned if the DOT 5 hits my newly powder-coated rims. Have a great day Alex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope, you don't need to worry. In all other aspects it's worse than all the other brake fluids out there, but it does not corrode.
You should've seen my old fluid, I guess it was the one from 03. It looked like mud.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
The top of the master cylinder tells what type of fluid to use. Don't mix them. They will become gel like and gum up your lines if you do.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Hi there did you use DOT5 or DOT4 in the clutch ? I have a 2008 VROD nitespecial and need to purge and refresh the clutch fluid...
The top of the master cylinder tells what type of fluid to use. Don't mix them. They will become gel like and gum up your lines if you do.
What Rusty said, but on the odd chance the stickers are missing from the reservoir tops, your 2008 uses DOT 4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.