Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a new 2011 VFSCF owner. I am very impressed with the bike. The only thing I have to complain about is a clicking noise I hear when riding over "washboard" type bumps, or a quick shallow bump. I removed the headlight and instrument clustered the noise is still there. It sounds like it is coming from the triple tree area. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have had it since day 1, brought it to the dealer and they cant figure it out. There is a few threads on here about it but i do not think there was a resolution.
Phil

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the same sound as well , it's annoying and I have no idea where it comes from hopefully someone will figure it out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Please post in this thread if a diagnoses and resolution are found. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i had a clicking noise like that, shift lever banging back and forth on the peg where it rides, istalled a coated wave washer, noise gone.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
i had a clicking noise like that, shift lever banging back and forth on the peg where it rides, istalled a coated wave washer, noise gone.
I've suspected the shift lever was doing it. I think the mystery is solved. Good work!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VRSCF, not the shifter or the rear brake pedal. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally, the clicking noise disappeared when I tightened the exhaust bolts. Geez, where DO they get these HD mechanics, blue light specials?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Finally, the clicking noise disappeared when I tightened the exhaust bolts. Geez, where DO they get these HD mechanics, blue light specials?
can't blame this on the mechanics. After the exhaust go through a few warm up/cool down cycles you are supposed to re-torque the fasteners. I check mine once/month.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Hello. I am a new 2011 VFSCF owner. I am very impressed with the bike. The only thing I have to complain about is a clicking noise I hear when riding over "washboard" type bumps, or a quick shallow bump. I removed the headlight and instrument clustered the noise is still there. It sounds like it is coming from the triple tree area. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
The clicking I get comes from the front brake pads moving in the calipers. Back out of the garage put on the front brake, they go one move one way in the caliper. Go forward, put on the brake they go the other way in the caliper.
However I think your noise is coming from your forks. It is the sound of the valving, or the fork topping out or something in there. I have it too. My forks where custom built by Traxxion Dynamics but they still have the noise. One fork leg is for compression the other leg is for dampening. I have traced my clicking to the forks. It is the sound of them working. Not a problem. My 2 cents worth

Bicep

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL Bicep. The noise was there on day one. The afternoon of day one, I took it back to the stealership, and they could not fix it. The customer had to fix it ... The HD stealers really don't know (or don't want to know) $hit about VRods.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
he did not "hear" the exhaust leak, he was able to hear the loose connections and clamps clanging around.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
as it's getting pretty hot here I went to my skid lid instead of full face and I was hearing clunking type sounds to find it's the airbox when I hit bumps

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lastline, I had that noise too. It was the snorkel hitting the frame. I removed the snorkel from the air box top. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts