Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some guidance. A couple of weeks ago (last time I was able to go riding) I had my bike parked outside a friends house so I left my alarm on over night. When I got up in the morning and turned the key - nothing but click click click. I thought this was strange as the lights and everything seemed real strong and didn't even dim when it clicked.

I hooked it up to buddy's truck to try and jump it and the same thing click click click.

I thought that was weird so after a while I did brushed the jumpers together when they were hooked to my bike battery and got a real strong spark.

I tried it again and it clicked a few more times but then started up. I drove for a couple of hours and it did the same thing. That day I put about 600kms (400 miles) on the bike thinking it would bring the battery back but it is still doing the same thing. I hit the starter button a few times and it might be the 6th or 7th time - it starts up like nothings wrong.

Would this be a battery issue or do I have more serious problems do you think? I just put it on a battery tender (didn't have one before) this morning and I'm hoping that will solve my issue. I'm headed out on a 6-day bike trip tomorrow and have no problems going and buying a new battery today and changing it out if I felt confident that it is the problem.

You folks that know these bikes - please help.

Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since you did a jump to a known good battery and got the same thing, I would not suspect you have a battery issue.

More than likely a loose connection. Check the entire starter circuit, from battery down to starter motor. Don't forget the ground connections.

If you are hearing a click it sounds like the starter solenoid is working, however the contacts within it may be dirty or worn. If you have a volt meter, look to be sure it is indeed applying 12v to the starter, when it is activated, yet the starter is not turning.

Do not touch the jumper cables together, which puts a short across your battery. That can indeed damage the plates in a battery.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Most likely you have either a bad starter relay or solenoid connection.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I agree with Sam and Max. If the clicking is coming from under the seat, that's the starter relay. Swap it with the Fan relay and see if it comes on.

If it does, then get a new relay.

The wires on the starter solenid have been known to come loose too. Check those and check your grounds and battery connections.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry - the bike is an '04 V-Rod and I believe this would be the 2nd season for the bike.

The click is pretty loud and seems to be coming from the starter itself.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
BoomTap said:
Sorry - the bike is an '04 V-Rod and I believe this would be the 2nd season for the bike.

The click is pretty loud and seems to be coming from the starter itself.
It's your solenoid. Check the connections.

RJ

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I don't have anymore advice for you but the guys have already givin you some good advice. I just wanted to say your paint is freakin bad a$$

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I left it on the tender until it showed green. I tightened up the wires on my solenoid, starter, and ground to the frame. It has started 3 for 3 so far with no clicks. I'm going to go try it out for a while. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all your help guys - it really made my life a little easier.

lakedrunk - thanks for the compliment on the paint. It was done by "cross eyed" www.cross-eyedair.com. Check it out - the stuff he does is unreal!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
BoomTap said:
lakedrunk - thanks for the compliment on the paint. It was done by "cross eyed" www.cross-eyedair.com. Check it out - the stuff he does is unreal!
you ain't kiddin, them guys sure have some talent!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts