Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it's possible to clearcoat over the airbox and rear fender to protect the paint and the denim stripes?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wouldnt that make the denim/matte finish disappear and just be gloss black all over?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think Mark is right. You will turn the denim into a gloss finish. If you use a clear coat with a flatening agent (used to give the denim look) then the vivid stripes will be denim.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
You could put a flatting agent in the clear in order to end up with a matte finish. The denim skins are clear coated from the factory. I don't know if you would gain anything.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I think you will find that the airbox cover is all vivid black, then the denim is layed on over it, except where the stripes are. Feel the transition from denim to stripes area closely.

Laying clear over the denim will just gloss up the denim. You could almost get to the same point if you go nuts with a good quality wax.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The denim is indeed on top of the vivid.

What I want to do is have an autograph on the tin. Then clearcoat over it to protect the autograph.

I'd end up having to clearcoat the rear fender too I guess....

I still want the denim stripe color - not bothered about the rough finish though...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Kieron said:
Do you think it's possible to clearcoat over the airbox and rear fender to protect the paint and the denim stripes?

Your parts are powder coated and a damn good job at that, Harley powder coating is some of the best around, it rivals the best lacquer jobs. You'd be hard pressed to match the quality, and you'd have glossy stripes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts