Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4,638 Posts
To each his own... I just dont think I could bring myself to stick $70.00 plastic sheets on my $18K bike ......

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
bbruce65 said:
I saw this auction too. I'm with Ricky. It's not going to happen.

-Bry

Cool... You guys are nuts.
I'm doing everything I can to portect my 18K toy.
It is a bit overpriced, but if it's good 3M material cuts, it's worth it.
When properly applied, this stuff is invisible, and it does wonders to prevent stone chips.

Anyone that puts miles in on crowded highways where debris is prominent, you should consider it.

Especially those with anodized bikes... That stuff is NOT repaintable. A small ding results in a complete strip and re-anodize (where do you get that done?)

I have this stuff on my offroad SUV and my commuter... Trust me, it;s good stuff.

:paper:

·
4,638 Posts
How many V-RODS have you seen using this stuff... Or better yet how many Motorcycles period ......It might just be me but it seems to be a little Wal-Mart'ish to me...As I stated before "What ever floats your boat" Hell If we had spokes on our V-RODS I guess we could put playing cards in them ...Then we would not have to worry about V-MODS.... No wait STEVE would figure out how to make them louder....Steve is good people....

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ricky,

It's not walmart'ish if it's the 3m stuff. This coating is very popular with the high end performance car crowd. I know of 5 Porsche turbo owners and 2 Ferrari 360 owners that have spent up wards of $500 to have this applied to their rides. If done right you cannot see the material and considering that it can be removed without harming the paint it's cheap compared to repainting a Porsche or Ferrari hood.

Then again, I don't have it on my Porsche and considering the hardness of the Anodized finish I don't see a need on my V-Rod ;). In fact, I don't think it would disappear on the anodized rods so this is a paint only option.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
On a side note, it's funny to see people's priorities. Many, if not all of the people here would (and have) spent much more than $66 for chrome do dads for our rides yet we balk at spending $66 on something that actually could add value but no one else can see. I'm not being critical, I'm with you on this but it's interesting to see our priorities. Think about it........

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If the film is anything like that applied by the factory on the airbox skin, then I will definitely pass. Mine has scuff marks in it (from the seat I know) and is far from invisible! To me it has looked like $h!t from day one! Just my opinion.

-Bry

·
4,638 Posts
mjw930 said:
Ricky,

It's not walmart'ish if it's the 3m stuff. This coating is very popular with the high end performance car crowd. I know of 5 Porsche turbo owners and 2 Ferrari 360 owners that have spent up wards of $500 to have this applied to their rides. If done right you cannot see the material and considering that it can be removed without harming the paint it's cheap compared to repainting a Porsche or Ferrari hood.

Then again, I don't have it on my Porsche and considering the hardness of the Anodized finish I don't see a need on my V-Rod ;). In fact, I don't think it would disappear on the anodized rods so this is a paint only option.

mjw930,
After going to there site and reading up on the product in depth I am totally convinced that they are a JR. WAL-MART company... The warranty is so vaguely written, It sounds like the OLD DUDE ON SOUTHERN CHOPPERS WROTE IT. Hell I bet he could wrap some of the stuff around his beard and it would not get any chips or burs from his grinder...And just think of the protection from flying rocks when he is bear footed chasing choppers as a child .....
mjw930... dont take this as a smart ass answer... I still love ya brother I just canot believe the stuff people push on the net... P.S. If you run across any money trees or pipe stretchers on e-bay let me know..... (P.S. Dont get all wraped up over this reply..Life is to short and there is always the Mens Lounge .... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ricky,

No Problem, We're cool! :thumb: BTW, I don't take any of the stuff here personally :laugh:

I was just pointing out that the concept is good. From your analysis that doesn't include this guy ;)

·
4,638 Posts
Good to see that we can express each outhers views ...
P.S. KAZ Shure has been quiet we need to check on him ...

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
KAZHe must be playing with that Sears compression tester :rolleyes: anyway this plastic stuff reminds me of how my Mother used to wrap the sofa with :) But keep in mind I'm one of those guys that wouldn't mind a scratch as it would give me an accuse to get new skins :thumb:

·
4,638 Posts
I can remember when people would put the clear plastic seat covers on their car seats in the mid 60'S. Guaranteed to burn your As$ in the summer ...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm, somebody had a bad experience with seran wrap as a child... j/k ;)

Well, having the zipper from my leather jacket brush against my airbox was enough to make me consider something like this. Its only a small 1/8th inch scratch, but its there nevertheless and I still hate myself over it.

So for me, its either the give the "walmart plastic" a shot, or get out the liquid plasti-dip for my zipper. :)

·
AMF
423 Posts
This company, Auto Trim Design is a national franchise that has done automotive graphics for years. (no, I do not work for them) I have seen them at the several car dealerships that I have worked over the years and they do some nice work. We also called them the stripe guys. They come in to the dealership and put stripes on new and used cars to help "dress" them up prior to sale. They also do a lot of window tinting in my area. They have been selling this InvisiGard headlamp protection system for several years and although you might think it is cheap looking stuff, it is not. The headlamp protection is something customers come in looking for. I personally have not used the product but have seen it in the sheet form prior to installation and it seems to be decent quality. My :2cents:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I personally don't think it is worth it. A just don't need another tape line to collect wax or other dirt.
Also the V-Rod doesn't have the frontal area of a sports car. There is very little painted surfaces showing from the front compared to a hood or fascia of a Porsche or Ferrari. The only place that I might consider putting it on would be the headlamp. I have seen this done to vehicles with good results.

-Bry

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Heat,
lets see how Bad you are and go test your compression Buster! :slap: I run InvisbleBra 3M products on my Saleen and had the whole nose section done after a repaint from rock chips and my Carbon Fiber Air Splitters were installed and painted to match.Now Not to Burst any Bubbles but if you want to talk walmartism upgrades I will have to put Those "Neon motor Lights" in that catagory.Reminds me of the Ninja Kids with their 17second Rice Rockets with 5 inch tail pipes! :rolleyes:

·
4,638 Posts
Well I never knew that Plastic would bring so much traffic on the forum...This is great and what the forum is all about, everyone getting a chance to express there :2cents: Thats the unique part about this forum we are able to converse back and forth :blahblah: without resorting to name calling and hurting any feelings.. :mad: Enough of this mushy stuff :heart: .... LETS KEEP THE FORUM GOING STRONG :plause: :plause:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts