Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i'll admit my my cheapass bike cover did squat to protect the wheels over this past winter! Now i have water spots and oxidation on the wheels that used to clean up quite nicely with a normal wash, but now they're looking rough.

Since my VROD has Cast Aluminum wheels, I was going to use Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish. Is this a good choice for the wheels?

Also, I Have TAB exhaust on my bike, which is "Satin Nickel", and the factory exhaust cover is "Satin Chrome". Does Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish also work on these types of metal? I definitely don't want to try to polish it and screw it all up.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
The polished aluminum is a pain to keep looking good. Mothers does work, but it is a constant battle. I am going to get my wheels and swing arm powder coated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mother's will shine up the aluminum, but it won't remove the spots or staining (oxidation). I rode my bike once or twice to work this winter and hit a wet patch. The road salt spotted the wheels by the time I came home from work.

I tried Mother's with a powerball this weekend. Then I tried using 600 grit sand paper followed by Mother's. I works on the high surfaces, but the machined aluminum wheels are have slight grooves in them and the sandpaper does not reach the bottom of the groves. So, the spots are reduced but still visible.

Anyone else with ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
a local Harley dealer just did a seminar for my bike group. "dealers secrets for detailing". For chrome and aluminum they use "Easy Cut". they call it a miracle worker.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
I got some stuff from my local NAPA pals a few yrs ago for aluminum wheels on my '92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC..made especially for aluminum..ya gotta wear RUBBER GLOVES when using this chit and it has to be diluted,but it works awesome with no/very little effort,but you MUST be there and wash the wheel immediately with copious amounts of water afterwards...now if only I can remember what its called... ;-)

Zep-A-Lume-E... professional grade cleaner,came in a gallon jug and rather pricey..
check it out.

Jim

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
For nuking brake dust and general road grime on wheels I use Scrubbing Bubbles. Ok, don't laugh. Spray it on, let it foam up and rinse off. Cheap, available in any supermarket and it smells nice.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
On alumuim once polished out clean ,you seal it with a good wax and stays clean alot longer.On exhaust use Mothers blue chrome cleaner on a spot to test and then see how it looks.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have used a fine steelwool using a aluminum polish/cleaner. I have also used Eagle One Etching Wheel Cleaner but as stated by XvtvCrewxr this stuff will burn the eyes and you will have to polish after.

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Has any ever used NeverDull? I used it on my wheels last time, and it seemed to work okay. I don't know if it'll get rid of oxidation or not though.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Has any ever used NeverDull? I used it on my wheels last time, and it seemed to work okay. I don't know if it'll get rid of oxidation or not though.
:them:

Never Dull is good sh1t. I polished a lot of shipboard brass in the Coast Guard with it, and it nukes the green meanies on brass exposed to salt spray.
After wiping the polish off, use another clean cloth dabbed in some corn starch, and rub that on the polished surface. This removes any residual film of whatever polish you are using and leaves a mirror finish. I learned that technique polishing out gasoline tank truck tanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cornstarch is good fer sumthin besides makin gravy?Outstanding! I used a block type alm. polishing compound followed by a block rouge applied with buffing wheels on a drill.Takes some time but makes stuff that wasn't meant to be shiny so_Once you do the major grindin the maintainance is easy.Got everything from JP,not expensive.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Cornstarch is good fer sumthin besides makin gravy?Outstanding! I used a block type alm. polishing compound followed by a block rouge applied with buffing wheels on a drill.Takes some time but makes stuff that wasn't meant to be shiny so_Once you do the major grindin the maintainance is easy.Got everything from JP,not expensive.
After buffing with rouge on the buffing wheel, and hand polishing with a polishing compound, you wipe the residue off with a dry cloth and then finish by wiping with a cloth that has been dabbed in corn starch. The corn starch prevents the rag from clogging with old polish and brings up a beautiful shine.
I used to polish the cargo tanks, hose tubes, fuel tanks, grill and wheels of gasoline tank trucks this way killing time in line at the loading rack or I would knock off a wheel or two while making a delivery.
I always had a rag in a tupperwear container of corn starch under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
345 Posts
a local Harley dealer just did a seminar for my bike group. "dealers secrets for detailing". For chrome and aluminum they use "Easy Cut". they call it a miracle worker.
The easy cut cleaner sounded good. Recommended by the dealer then I found this on the bottom of the product page "Not for use on painted or clear coated, plated or anodized metals. Will not harm clear coats if wiped off early after contact. "

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Products/Easy-Cut---Metal-Cleaner-and-Polish__BXMPEC.aspx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts