Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TheMoCo STRIKES AGAIN!

How in the hell does everyone get into (under) the bold recesses on the clutch case, cam cover, etc. Q-Tip don't get it, I'm not digging with a screwdriver. From the looks of it, Pimpstixx don't get it either.

How are you folks getting around and under the bolt recesses?

Rick

Who spends WAY TOO MUCH TIME thinking about his bolt recesses...

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
The right size pipe cleaner works.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Serious as a heart attack bro.

It's a "wax in da cracks" situation at this point. Believe me, I ride the rubber off the bike, and I'm probably the only one who notices it - but I DO NOTICE IT.

Yeah, I'm getting nit-picky, but I'm at the "finer details" stage of this build...

Think the pipe cleaner may be the ticket though, gotta find some with plastic (instead of the wire inside) so they don't scratch...

Thanks guys...

Rick

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Once a year I remove the cover fasteners (one at a time) and clean both the head of the bolt (mine are chrome) and the recess area on the engine cover with chrome cleaner on a micro fiber cloth, then torque back into place. Then move to the next bolt and repeat. With this method you do not need to worry about any torque sequence. Torque sequence is used for when ALL bolts and cover have been removed and the gasket needs to be reseated.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts

It's a "wax in da cracks" situation at this point. Believe me, I ride the rubber off the bike, and I'm probably the only one who notices it - but I DO NOTICE IT.

Yeah, I'm getting nit-picky, but I'm at the "finer details" stage of this build...

Think the pipe cleaner may be the ticket though, gotta find some with plastic (instead of the wire inside) so they don't scratch...

Thanks guys...

Rick
That is cool.

I usually just disassemble the whole dang thing and then kick the kids out of the bath tub. Absolute best way to get to every nook and cranny.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts

Thanks guys...

Rick
Try a small paint brush with stiff bristles. It's what I use and works great. Also a old tooth brush might work

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
Are you serious??? Hose it off and go for a ride to air dry it.
Wait a minute! You are supposed to wash these bikes? That totally takes away from riding time. Next time it rains I am going to spay on some soap then go ride fast and take chances. That is what you call multitasking.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bolts out one-at-a-time and Rejex'ing the holes might be just what the doc ordered.

Rick

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Bolts out one-at-a-time and Rejex'ing the holes might be just what the doc ordered.

Rick
Sonds like you are in the dog house and have nothing else to do...lol

:D

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sonds like you are in the dog house and have nothing else to do...lol

:D
Not at all. TERMINALLY SINGLE (thank GOD). If there's a dog house, I slink in there all on my own-some.

But I have gotten somewhat obsessive about the bike (see mod list), and the bolt recesses being all nasty looking after spending the time washing and detailing irks the hell out of me.

/justifications...

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts