Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been posted a million times over, but I'm on my iPhone and the app I'm using doesn't have a search feature that I can seem to find.

Anyhow, I want to clean up my '03 Aluminum body panels/fenders but just want to make sure that I don't use something that will ruin it. I'm assuming you can't really "polish" the body to make it super shiny, can you? I would like to polish my wheels though, and I'm guessing that's more than okay.

What do you guys use to clean your Aluminum machines? Sorry again for not using the search. I'm on the go right now and would like to pick up some cleaner while I'm out.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anyhow, I want to clean up my '03 Aluminum body panels/fenders but just want to make sure that I don't use something that will ruin it. I'm assuming you can't really "polish" the body to make it super shiny, can you? I would like to polish my wheels though, and I'm guessing that's more than okay.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Yes, you can actually polish aluminum to a chrome like appearance but good advice that you only use this technique on non-clear coated surfaces on the Rod (wheels are OK)

Try Noxon or Flitz and lots of rubbing, buffing & elbow grease!

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I use liberal amounts of Semichrome on my engine cases, swing arm, chromed areas and wheels. Lots of elbow grease required, but the results are great. I've used Semichrome for decades and it always comes through even if the chrome or aluminum surface is pitted. Forget the mechanical application -- good old finger power and lots of cloth are the ticket.

Of course I opted for an actual finish on my body work.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,404 Posts
WHOA! Stop the presses guys.
He's talking about the ANODIZED body work.

Use only mild soap and water. DO NOT USE A POLISH that contains any kind of abrasive.

The body parts are Anodized which is a chemical surface treatment. If you wear through it then it's gone and you can't fix it. Or rather you can for all the pieces except the airbox cover which a two piece bonded assembly, the anodized cover glued to a steel backing.

The Anodize is a multiple dip chemical bath process, chemical etch, rinse, anodize bath and rinse. The surface is chemically hardened only about .001" deep. As long as it is intact it maintains it's look and is resistant to oxidization. Once scratched it can't be repaired without going through the process again.

The cover would need to be separated from the backing before it can be re-dipped. You can't put the steel through the process. I have separated the tins and can tell you it's a bitch and not worth the effort.

Also you can expect to pay a premium as a private individual to get the pieces re-dipped.

Polish is great on the wheels, triple trees, swing arm etc. but not on the body parts. Soap and water only then a non-abrasive spray polish if you really feel the need to do more.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just use a good quality wax after soapy water, on my 02.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts