Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I use to get a spot of silver anti-seize off the black wrinkle powdercoat on my sprocket? While we're at it, same goes fopr a spot on the black plastic of my fuel tank.

I've tried a couple of degreasers and a toothbrush - last night I went at it with Simple Green - no go. Still have spots.

Ideas? How about what do people use for stripping wax off paint?

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Steppen-

Rob and got ahold of something, that Max has in his Garage.
It is called "3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner."

We use that stuff for EVERYTHING. I get the exhaust grime off my chrome wheels, we have used it on all part of the bike, to clean off residue. I would DEFINITELY think it is ok for the plastic, and would just test it on some section of the powdercoat....

But we have used it on everything, and it hasn't damaged any surface so far...

Now, we had to find it at a specialty tool store...Home Depot and Lowes don't carry it.

But, you might find it at the specialty tool places around your home.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Amy, Ken.

I was wonderng about a 'Goof Off' type product - may get some if I can't find the 3M stuff and test it in an out of the way spot.

I need to get a LITTLE less generous and messy when using the anti-seize. Swapped a wheel out - next thing I know, I have slilver crap all over everything!

·
Registered
519 Posts
The true solution is WD-40 - don't use Goof Off.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Thanks, Amy, Ken.

I was wonderng about a 'Goof Off' type product - may get some if I can't find the 3M stuff and test it in an out of the way spot.

I need to get a LITTLE less generous and messy when using the anti-seize. Swapped a wheel out - next thing I know, I have slilver crap all over everything!
Oh...listen to this.

At our old apartment, we had lived there about ohhhhh...2 months I would say. Then Rob did the 240 conversion on what is now my bike. He ran inside to get something, and tracked Anti-Sieze ALL ACROSS THE CARPET. I mean, you can see the trail from the foyer to the sink, and back again :):chair:

Poor thing....anyway, that stuff is a B!TCH to get off, and somehow I swear the stuff multiplies and spreads when it comes out of the tube :)

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
Steppen-

Rob and got ahold of something, that Max has in his Garage.
It is called "3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner."

We use that stuff for EVERYTHING. I get the exhaust grime off my chrome wheels, we have used it on all part of the bike, to clean off residue. I would DEFINITELY think it is ok for the plastic, and would just test it on some section of the powdercoat....

But we have used it on everything, and it hasn't damaged any surface so far...

Now, we had to find it at a specialty tool store...Home Depot and Lowes don't carry it.

But, you might find it at the specialty tool places around your home.

been goin' here for the last 10 years or so.....buddy runs Sewell Caddy paint shop off of 75...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/ :D

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Most auto part stores carry 3m products.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
What can I use to get a spot of silver anti-seize off the black wrinkle powdercoat on my sprocket? While we're at it, same goes fopr a spot on the black plastic of my fuel tank.

I've tried a couple of degreasers and a toothbrush - last night I went at it with Simple Green - no go. Still have spots.

Ideas? How about what do people use for stripping wax off paint?
Steppenwolf, I did the same thing when putting on my exhaust. Just wet a Magic Eraser sponge and it comes right off. For stripping wax you might try Meguiars scratch remover stuff.
Kristi

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Try Denatured Alcohol. I just did a test of the stuff by spreading some anti Sieze on a piece of plastic. could not get it off. Cleaned right up with the alcohol. Home Depot Paint dept. couple of dollars a quart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts