Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a 12v plug close to my bars for a gps and/or radio or whatever. I thought a good location might be under the upper frame rail under the air cleaner, or maybe under the air filter cover itself. Does anybody know a good way to get power and ground to this area withough butchering any wires. In my cars I usually stick a flat prong in where I'm missing fuses in the fuse panel, where the extra options for the car are not there. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
My solution

I have put it here as it is easy to get to, the male connector is my sat nav,but can be used for airbeds phone charging etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I ran a Fused Tender line up to the triple trees direct to battery . I then made (but you can buy them) a tender lead to 12vOutlet for my Phone and GPS. I have since hard wired my GPS but still use it for the Phone if I need to.I keep the 12V in my frame bag with phone charger when not being used

It's very short and clean run and when in use the 12v just tucks under the bars.

for the Gps I ran that off the Extra Acc fuse and tapped into it just as you stated and ran the ground under the fuse block with my Arnott ground

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Mine's under the airbox. Invisible

·
Registered
976 Posts
Anyone do a mod like this for a USB port ?

I`m going to use a Iphone for a GPS .

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Tender plug (same as above), tied to frame above right side cover...

2nd tender plug (BE SURE TO NOTE THE POLARITY REVERSAL when using plug-2-plug)

Plugs into a large Dowco Tank Bag, that has a 3-way lighter socket inside:

WOW, so THAT'S what my DX looked like Pre-Insane-Modfest...

Powers an Iphone USB Charger Port, my Verizon MiFi and an IPad that doubles as a full size GPS (tell me you can't see THAT GPS)...

There are a number of "purpose designed" power ports for bike, with various mounting configurations...

Rick

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just recently did a USB power port. Here is what i did.

I bought a $4 iPad charger that has 2 standard USB ports on it. One is 1A and the other 2A. I have both a GPS (requires min 1A) and a portable dashboard on my bike and I want to charge both simultaneously. I bought mine direct from China as it was $4 and it was $20 to buy it in the US (it comes from the same source in the end).

I mounted a standard 12V outlet plug under the right side cover between the coolant bottle and the snorkle of the airbox. See pictures. I tie wrapped it to the mount peg the pin for the airbox cover goes through just to stabalize it and prevent vibration.

I also installed a 4A mini fuse as the usb charger does not include a fuse.

It's small, fits perfect, and gives me 2 USB charging ports cleanly.

I shortened my USB cables so that I didn't have to bundle them up and affect airflow into the snorkel.

I have a 2003.

See pics.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts