Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having to replace a bad battery i got my 11 vrod started today. Sounds great except it seems to be making a clacking sound i dont remember it making last year when i parked it. It had 15k on it and already had the 15k service done at 12k. I havent driven it yet, just fired it up in the garage for a few minutes. The oil is full and clean. It sounds like upper engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So going back over the bike, i think the issue is the gasket between the airbox and throttle body is worn. Listening to the engine run it sounds like it was sucking extra air and when you blip the throttle it hangs open for a second instead of snapping shut. Im almost certain that is what im hearing

·
Registered
147 Posts
So going back over the bike, i think the issue is the gasket between the airbox and throttle body is worn. Listening to the engine run it sounds like it was sucking extra air and when you blip the throttle it hangs open for a second instead of snapping shut. Im almost certain that is what im hearing
Thanks for the follow up! Too many people ask for help on an issue and then never report back thier findings that fixed the issue which gives the ability for someone else who may be having the same issue(s) to fix their own bike and not have to ask by starting a new topic on the same issue.

Again, thanks!
-John

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I doubt you could hear that gasket leaking if it was. If you changed the battery yourself there could be a couple issues. The front breather tube might not be inserted into the head correctly. This will make a popping sound sometimes. The throttle not returning could be the lower box is crushing the throttle cables. Only thing I can suggest is go over the whole process, taking note of either of these conditions. Generally loud clacking on startup is from secondary chain tensioners needing to be shimmed. This sound goes away after a few seconds however so doubt it's your problem. If you have a metal disc under your kickstand, it can clack like hell too as I found out once. Anyway, finding a solution usually involves something you recently did to cause it. We've all been there.
Ron

·
Noel
4,622 Posts
On rare occasion stuck throttle, clacking are symptoms of a broken throttle shaft.
Look at each while the engine is idling, if you see one of the wiggling, you've got a problem, unlikely in your case since what Ron suggested is more likely your situation, but be aware of other issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was definitely the breather tube not seated properly. I guess it was out far enough that it blew some oil out onto the engine. I cleaned it up and put a new gasket on it plus made sure that tube was in correctly. Seems good to go now

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
It was definitely the breather tube not seated properly. I guess it was out far enough that it blew some oil out onto the engine. I cleaned it up and put a new gasket on it plus made sure that tube was in correctly. Seems good to go now
Good thing you didn't tear down the road like that. Talk about an oil mess when you get back. Glad you got it sorted out.
Ron

·
Registered
826 Posts
After having to replace a bad battery i got my 11 vrod started today. Sounds great except it seems to be making a clacking sound i dont remember it making last year when i parked it. It had 15k on it and already had the 15k service done at 12k. I havent driven it yet, just fired it up in the garage for a few minutes. The oil is full and clean. It sounds like upper engine.
Hmmmmm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts