Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences in the kits 46545-02A and 45787-06A? Are the degrees of rake different? I have read opposing accounts of what the differences really are. Will the latter fit an '05 A model? Is the 46545-02A discontinued altogether? Any help appreciated.

Also, the service manual calls for changing the bearings/races as a set if any individual component needs changed. I'm sure alot of their approach is "cover your ass," so someone doesn't put a new bearing on a beat, worn out race. However, this bike has only 5K on the clock, and I had the front end apart to check the bearing grease (which there was hardly any from the factory) and install progressive springs and chrome lowers at 1000 miles. I can't see needing to replace any bearing components EXCEPT the lower bearing and the seals and locking tab. The upper bearing/race should be fine and a new lower bearing should mate fine to a barely ridden lower race. Any thoughts?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The new trees have 2 degrees of rake taken out to compensate for the 240 tire low speed handling.I only notice a difference in parking lot manures and making U-turns.
You cannot know if the bearings can be reused until you inspect them.The lower bearing is pressed onto the stem and will have to be removed.If it's in good shape after you remove it,you can reuse it.I'd make sure the local bearing supplier has the race and bearings in stock before you start the job.There is a dust seal that needs to be checked for in stock availability too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 45787-06A is compatible with earlier years, but the front end rake is changed. You mention the handling change is only noticable in parking lot situations, but how noticable is the look? The rake of the front end is one of the trademark aspects of V rod look to me.

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
Sharp eye will pick it out...or if you park next to an 02 might be a bit more noticeable. the front end will seem to cut quicker than the older one with more rake.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The kit instruction sheet implies the lower comes with bearing and shaft pressed into the lower tree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts