Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Chrome Swing Arm installation

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  amarigal 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed a swingarm on their rod?

I just bought a new in the box chrome swingarm off ebay. For about half the cost of buying one direct. But I got a rough quote from the dealer for installation for about $350.

If anyone has done this themselves... is it hard? What are some of the basic steps, gotchas, tips, etc... Wondering if I could handle the task (with a helper).

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most difficult) how would you rate it?

Thanks,
Leon

#2 ·
Hmmm... so nobody here has done this? Well that pretty much scares me! :)

I guess I'm going to have the dealer do it. At least I saved money on the chrome swingarm (ebay).

#3 ·
My few cents on this is I have the stock swing arm and a little elbow grease and a $5 can of metal polish will get your stock swing arm looking real good.

Dave

#4 ·
Leon I haven't done the swing arm yet but 350.00 at a labor rate of 75.00 an hour would be saying that they think the swing arm is a 4.7 hour job. Hmmm that seems a little excessive to me, I would call and get comparison prices from another dealer.

Max

#5 ·
holy smokes..... too much time and $$$.

did the rear fork you get have the bearings already in it? the left side should have a dual tapered bearing set and seals, the right side uses a plain bearing (bushing).

if those are already installed (as i suspect) the whole job should not take more than 1.5 hours at tops for a decent technician. it really isn't that hard.

let me know if you want detailed instructions... and of course a service manual would help.

#7 ·
Grrrr!!! I'm pissed!

So I go to double check that bearings are included with my new chrome swingarm... NOPE!

I double check the 2004 catalog description and sure enough it says "bearings included".

I contact the eBay seller about the mistake...and he tells me to look at the HD website as it says "bearings NOT included".

So I call HD customer service to clarify. Turns out the catalog and website do contradict each other. The chrome swingarm is supposed to come with the bearings. However, only on part #48410-01A.

My part number that I bought does not have the "A", so I am forced to buy the bearings separately. What a pisser! I guess thats what I get for using eBay! :soapbox:

#8 ·
Leon,

Did you get the bearings? Did you do it yourself? If so, how did you press the bearings in? Specifically I'll less worried about the bearings and more about the "C" clip that the HD manual says to "snap" in that each race snugs up to (this is on the right side). The left side "sleeve" bearing isn't a worry.

Anyone else out there replaced (or more importantly, installed) bearings, etc. in a swingarm? Also, my HD swingarm came with the bushing, the two bearings, and TWO "C" springs - one the ID of the swingarm and one the ID of the bearings. Anyone have any idea what the smaller on is for? It's not shown in the HD manual.

BTW, my dealer quoted me $140 for installation. He is changing my rear wheel, so that is in addition b/c of the bearing stuff. Doesn't seem like it should take 2 hours to press in a couple bearings and a silly sleeve.

Thanks!

#9 ·
I just got my swingarm back from the chromer today. Had it modified for a 240. Everything I've read says to replace the bearings but I'm wondering if this is really necessary. Seems odd to replace something with less than 2K useage. Can anyone provide rationale for the change?

Zeeman

#10 ·
Actually swingarms are not that difficult, if you have the right tools. At factory; they assemble tire, wheel, brake and brake rotor, pulley all seperately away from bike and install as a complete sub assembly. I use this trick and it works out nice. Roll it up to bike and stab the swingarm bolt. Install shocks, adjust belt and your in business. Lots easier then trying to do it all under the bike. Just be sure to protect the swingarm with blue painters tape until you are finished. Exhaust side has a bad habit of wanting to get scraped on exhaust mounting bolts. Donald

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.