Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know keeping our stock wheels is quite a chore. So, here's
what I'm a little un-decided on.
1.) Chrome stock wheels for easier upkeep & of course better looks.
2.) Buy an aftermarket rim thats not solid but of course chrome.

I've had many a Vrodder tell me that there is a world of difference once you put a different wheel on the VROD. (Less wind resistance)

What do you guys think ? .....

·
MARK
644 Posts
My stock wheels are polished and I find them easy to keep clean
I use the mothers polish , either billet or alumnium

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
It all comes down to $$$$...
Option 1- Cheaper
Option 2- Better looking

Decision Matrix time!
Mike

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
Your first decision is do you want solid or open wheels.
If it's solid then you already have the answer. Get em' chromed.
If it's open. Well, the worlds your oy$ter.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I agree, it's all about how much you want to spend. I truly think an aftermarket wheel looks awesome on a V-Rod - much better than the stock wheels (even chromed). When I installed my aftermarket wheels I couldn't believe how much better the bike looked.
Just my 02 cents.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
The main advantage you would get from going with a chromed spoked wheel would be a possible reduction in unsprung weight (and a corresponding improvement in handling).

Personally I'd stay away from chroming the stock disc wheels. By the time they had been polished sufficiently to accept the chrome, remachined so the bearings fit, etc.; you probably would have spent close to what a set of new wheels would cost. Secondly, chrome stock discs don't look like they'd be much easier to keep clean. Sure - they might not be subject to discoloration and spotting, but a huge flat slab of chrome will show every tiny speck or irt and road filth - and reflect it too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts