Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might sound stupid but when I bought my bike, it had the chrome oil dip stick with the temp gauge already installed. I'm assuming the two lines on the stick should show full (top line) and add (bottom line). With the new Amsoil I put in ( 4.5 qts), you can't see nothing on the stick. If I'm correct about the markings, please respond. I thimk I'm going to find a stick dip stick for checking the oil level. It has to be easier to read then this temp dip stick.
Also, my oil temp was running about 200 after riding for about 1/2 an hour, is a normal reading??

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Oil temp sounds normal. The stick readings I dont know... first I have heard about this. I know the oil level is very sensitive to bike position.
Greg

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg687 said:
Oil temp sounds normal. The stick readings I dont know... first I have heard about this. I know the oil level is very sensitive to bike position.
Greg
Bike is in an straight up position and I checked the oil after letting the engine cool down for approx. 5 minutes. Even with the H-D regular oil in the bike, it was hard to see it on the stick.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
You should probably carry the original dip stick with you, if possible. If someone steals the expensive (overpriced) fancy one, you can still get home.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
As far as I know, the markings are for the bike's position on the sidestand and there I have had a good indication on the stock-, the oil temp- as well as the chrome covered dip stick which I use now (Right, the oil temp is overpriced and easy to be 'lost' while the stock stick is a litttle suboptimal)

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Roland,
The bike needs to be upright for checking the oil level with the stock OEM dipstick which also needs to be fully screwed in and then removed. Is the optional temp gauge dipstick different than stock in terms of procedure? If not, you could be running low on oil but get a "full" reading by checking the oil while on the sidestand.

·
Todd
482 Posts
I may be way off but I think my dealer told me with filter change the bike holds 6qts. I am at work and can not look this up.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
You know, this is not a bad idea even with the stock plastic dipstick...someone could walk off with it while the bike is parked and you're bike would be inoperative. Here's an idea: since the OEM dipstick would be cumbersome to pack, why not take an extra one, cut it off just below the cap and store it by taping it under the seat? Or even find an aluminum or plastic cap that matches. Anyone know the size and thread specs?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Its a lot easier to read the plastic dipstick than the fancy ones. For those of us with bags, keeping the old one with us is no problem. Those without - tape it inside the air cleaner bucket!

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
manual just says fill it it its full.... trying to find the "capacities" section

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My manual says the bike holds 4.5 quarts with a filter. I borrowed a stock dip stick and my level was at the full mark cold. I siphoned some out until it was midway on the cross hairs like the manual states. The chrome stick may look good but from what I've read here, it's a bitch to see the oil level on a shiny round rod.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree, roughing up the metal dipstick a little causes it to hold the oil a little better so you can see the level. I put an additional mark above the full line that indicates the full level when the bike is on the jiffy stand so I can give it a quick check from time to time without going thru that clown-like operation of balancing it on 2 wheels and screwing with a screaming hot metal dipstick (keep your left glove on!) to the great amusement of others. I'm just happy we are not required to simultaneously hold the rear brake pedal down too. What jerkoff engineered that one? One of my blessedly few engineering complaints of the 'Rod.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
mustangcav said:
What jerkoff engineered that one? One of my blessedly few engineering complaints of the 'Rod.
With the bike on the jiffystand, it is possible that the bike is in a whole range of different lean angles, depending on how far the steering head is rotated either left or right, and on the slope (if any) of the ground. They put that "upright and level" condition in there so you can get the most consistent readings - although I do agree with you it takes certain amount of monkeying around to do it per the book. I've switched to checking my oil when I bring it back from a ride - I roll out the lift and get it jacked up. By the time I've removed helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. and dug out the plastic dipstick and some shop towels enough time has elapsed for all the oil to drain down into the sump.

I've been monitoring oil consumption pretty closely -and in the first thousand miles this spring I've needed about 0.25 quart to keep it at the full mark. This is definitely less than when the bike was new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts