Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I bought my 2003A a year ago come September. It had a lot of chrome on it when I bought it, but now I'm in the process of chroming it out even more.

I've been looking for a chrome license plate bracket (dogass as many of you call it) to get rid of the black stock one...I noticed the Screamin' Eagle models have a chrome license plate bracket with chrome rear turn signals. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the screamin eagle one will fit on my 2003A? If so, does anyone have one for sale with the chrome turn signals in good condition? If not, does anyone know any websites that sell a chrome license plate bracket that will fit on my bike? Thanks!

-Derek

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Mine has been discontinued, but it is still listed as a clearance item on JPCycles.com as part number 340-283. It has a built-in LED array above the tag and will convert to either width of U.S. motorcycle license plate sizes.

It is not easy to install. Because the mounting screws are sandwiched between the license plate and the backing plate, they must be tightened before the four screws that hold the tag frame are.

But when mounted, it looks good to me. I even replaced the standard incandescent tag light bulbs with LEDs. The white LEDs modernized the look.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, there are dozens more frames from which to choose on that website.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I believe his question was more whether the SE chrome dog's ass would fit his '03. Since I'm not sure, I'll keep quiet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vroder-I would prefer the SE version since it is a Harley part and not aftermarket plus it comes with the chrome lights so that would be 2 birds with one stone, but if it doesn't fit I would be open to aftermarket ones.

Dr Dave- I checked it out, but it seems like it's more of a license plate frame instead of a mount...I already have a chrome frame and it isn't enough chrome for me, but thank you for responding.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
The chrome SE one does not fit the narrow 180 fender. not even the wider 240 tyre fenders, only the SE one. I had the same idea som years ago but than i would throw this bracket off eventualy.

You could have the stock one painted with 'cosmichrome' or have it chromed. A chromer told me they can.

I did put a fenderbaseplate on and chrome turnsignals to start with... now these moved to the top of the airshock and mounted a chrome licenceplate holder where the dogs ass sat

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DUTCHROD-Thank you for that information; it was very helpful. I was talking to a guy who sold V-Rod parts and he told me it wouldn't fit in the stock holes so you'd have to drill it, but if you've actually tried and it and it didn't work then I'll take your word for it over his since he's trying to make a sale.

I like the idea of the cosmichrome, but I went on their website and it seems like you have to buy a whole kit to do it which would be fine if I owned a paint shop or something like that, but I'm a college student and don't have $12,000.00 to buy it. Do you happen to know if they just sell it in a paint can or anything like that? Thanks again!

-Derek

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
I had one in my hands from a 06SE (for wide fender). from observation only (not on or at bike) i figured it wase too big to fit proper. and it wase too expensive to cut up.

There is a member on this forum who have had a lot done in the cosmichrome. let me do a search. He can tell you more i guess.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
you might check eurocomponents - they have a nice license plate bracket for use on the older v-rods. I put one on my bike and it's top quality, nice piece. In the picture below I had to take off my aftermarket LED turn signals because I lost a lens, but there is a hole for them to mount as well. really cleans up the back end without it looking "empty" back there

http://www.eurocomponentsusa.com/parts_for_v_rods/products.php?id=VL

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
V-Kit-Thank you for showing me that. Do you know if it holds the stock/chrome bullet rear turn signals or do they have to be aftermarket?

The other thing I was thinking was getting the 04 or new license plate bracket for the 180 fender and getting the harley chrome mount cover that covers up the entire back side of the bracket and paint the sides silver to match the bike and get chrome bullet rear turn signals.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fabiantenor-It's alright...I kind of gave up on it, but here's what I did: I bought the chrome bullet rear turn signals and custom dynamics LED lights that fit in the turn signals (since my current rear turn signals are LED), and I also bought the chrome license mount kit that covers the entire back of the license plate bracket/dog's ass. I noticed in your pictures you already have that. I sent a PM to a couple forum members that did some custom work (made chrome covers for the Rick's Tanks, etc.) and asked them if they could make a template with cutouts for the stock/chrome turn signals for each side of the license plate bracket and make chrome covers, but no one got back to me about it...if I had the machinery and metal, I'd do it myself. Anyways, the other option I considered was to have both sides of the bracket painted to match the bike since places like Brown's and Chromemasters won't chrome plastic. Right now I just decided not to paint it and just keep it the way it is since I have the 100th anniversary edition so it has the black stripe going down the middle, the radiator cover is black, and part of the hand grips are black. Good luck on what you decide to do...keep me posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts