Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will sound like heresy, but what do you guys think about a chromed metal part to replace all the plastic in the rear? Lots of folks seem to be doing the license plate/ turn signal relo, but I personally would rather leave them as is but with a nicer looking chrome piece instead of plastic. Anybody hear of anyone that has done this?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The DA can be trimmed to make it look very acceptable and retain the T signals in the stock location.I did mine and painted it to match the frame,I also did the front splash guard at the rear wheel.My advice is to stay away from the chrome paint.I had some plastic chrome painted and it lasted about 3 months before the paint washed off.Have it triple plated,the same procedure as metal.I had my signal housings chromed when I first got the bike,from a company in Texas,and they have held up just fine.Harley offers the chromed signals from the SE V-Rod,about $25 more than having the plasic ones plated but without the wait from the chromer.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Ozzy Customs was doing chrome DA's, but had yellowing issues. They supposedly have that problem fixed, but I don't know if you can buy just the DA anymore. For awhile the only way they would sell it is if you were doing a full paint job with the.

www.ozzycustoms.com

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Is there a how to on trimming the DA, I like the way Mr vrodders looks. :popcorn :popcorn

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
I just marked it out then used a Dremel with a miniature disk cutter blade and it simply melted its way along. It does look like its making a poor job, but once you trim the melted plastic away, it's looking good. Just finish off with a file, the pic here shows how I ended up. be carefull not to rub or file the outside of the DA as it will show.

Because I chopped off the forward most fixing, I drilled another each side so the DA is still attached with 4 bolts. see pic.
If you have a 180/200 you can keep the original 4 fixings intact.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chrome Dogs Ass

Its a really long story as to how I got this...If anyone is interested let me know and I will pass along

Attachments

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
jglum, I like it wanna tell me how it happened??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered the turn signal relo from a supplier that is mentioned on here pretty often. I dont want to bash them by name.

When it arrived I wasnt happy with the quality of the workmanship. Welds were bad and the steel was just too flimsy. I did, however, like the basic shape.

I went to a local machine shop and showed them what I had and then drew a picture of what I wanted. This old guy then got 16 guage stainless and made one for me.

I still wasnt happy with the stainless so I sent it off to a chrome shop in Paducah(KY-- not far from here) and....VOILA!

Now you see what I got. All in all I am pleased with the results.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Thanks, you just saved me $115.00, my father owns a machine shop so Im all good now.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Ergoguy34 said:
Thanks, you just saved me $115.00, my father owns a machine shop so Im all good now.
Hook all your brothers up!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts