Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a sound like "chirping" for a while now when the engine is on the overun,goes away If I pull the clutch in,my guess is its the belt but it looks okay and the tension is right any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I had the "chirping" happening to me last year. It turned out that my front motor mount was the problem. One bolt was loose and the other was broken. You could barely tell that the front exhaust pipe was rubbing against the frame. I had the bolts replaced and tightened an that cured the problem.

Just another idea to check. I originally thought I had my belt to tight as well.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Must be the alternator strap that's slipping :D

On a more serious note, is this a common failure? I also have a problem that may be related to the front mount, but I would have never have thought this part could fail. :broke:

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Thanks!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Had a sound like "chirping" for a while now when the engine is on the overun,goes away If I pull the clutch in,my guess is its the belt but it looks okay and the tension is right any suggestions?
Yea,clean the belt w soap and water.
It could be a dry cush drive too.You'll have to R&R the rear wheel to clean and lube this.i use a light film of a petroleum based assembly lube on my cush drives every time I have the rear wheels off.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
your comp rubber cushion in the rear pulley is Cause of some miserable chirping. A little silicon lube has taken car of it for me.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Hmmm...I have a 2006. My motor mount wasn't the problem. It was the motor mount bolts that came loose and broke.
I wouldn't expect a 2006 to have a bad front motor mount (these were changed in 2005).

I just did a search on the forum and found that several members have had the motor mount bolts break. Some more than once. Therefore my previous statement, "Loose motor mount bolts aren't a common problem from what I've seen posted on the forum", isn't quite correct. I don't know why these would come loose or shear off (as some have mentioned) though. More info needs to be posted about other work or accidents that these bikes have seen.

What work has been done on your bike?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the inputs will carry out the suggestions and report back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had also had an unidentifiable "chirping" sound on a '05se.
Very hard to identify, seemingly intermittent as it "chirped" over bumps, under acceleration, or just blipping the throttle. After a week of looking for the sound, I noticed the front of the motor was hanging 1/2" below the frame.
It was the front MM bolts. (The same bolt that also secures the top of the radiator).
They were sheared right off causing the MM plate to rub on the frame.

Here's what they looked like;
http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/2/4/8/6/5/_03-17-11_221.jpg

Check your MM bolts...

-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts