Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 07aw and got caught in rain recently and washed my bike for the firsrt time. after that i startred bike and at warm up no problem. dont know if this a coincidident or not but after my bike warms up at idle it makes a chirping noise. sounds internal. as soon as i give a little throttle it goes away. bike still runs fantastic. dealer says its normal.
comments welcome.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them: Also check the figure 8 exhaust clamp for tightness.
P.S. your dealer is an idiot

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I had a chirp/squeaking sound about a month ago. Ended up the front motor mount bolts were loose allowing the exhaust to touch the frame.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all,
i am running a vance and hines 2 into 1 exhaust that i installed myself. i checked it. and all is tight. i wil check the motor mount next. this is a wierd deal. i know pretty much about bikes and can do my own repairs but this one is kicking my rear end. chirp goes away as son as i take off. i can live with it i guess but id like to know what the heck is going on here.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Put a screwdriver, dowel rod or stethoscope against the water pump and see if the noise is coming from there. There is a bronze bushing that the water pump shaft rides on that is supposed to be pressed in the case... I know of one here in Houston that HD is shipping a brand new sealed motor to the owner because his bronze bushing was spinning and seized to the water pump shaft at less then 15,000 miles.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a chirp/squeaking sound about a month ago. Ended up the front motor mount bolts were loose allowing the exhaust to touch the frame.
Yep,...check the front mount.
At 15k, both of my front MM bolts sheared off, dropping the motor about an inch, and caused the MM plate to rub on the frame.

Sounded like little canaries when hitting bumps or idle...

-Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now your scaring me. i will check it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
none of the above. seems to be coming from airbox.
im just gonna live with it. bike just runs too good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm hearing the same noise. Real inconsistant and only at idle. I run topless and think it might have something to do with that since I didn't hear it before taking the top off. I'm willing to put up with it though cuz mine runs great too.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I thought mine was coming from the air box as well. Double check that front motor mount again. At the top of the radiator, should be able to see the heads of the bolt. If you see the shaft of the bolt, they are loose.

My bike still ran like a raped ape with the motor mount bolts loose and broken.

Just wanted to be sure you'll be safe on your scoot! :)

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
Mine is coming from the exhaust system expanding and contracting, when it gets up to operating temp it quits,,, and goes away after cooling off, I know it's the exhaust because it does it when hot and engine isn't running. I am also using the same exhaust system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i only see 1 rubber mount at top of radiator for upper motor mount. the allen blots that connect this mount are tight and so is the rubber mount. i will check again just to be sure.
comments welcome

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i only see 1 rubber mount at top of radiator for upper motor mount. the allen blots that connect this mount are tight and so is the rubber mount. i will check again just to be sure.
comments welcome
the v rod is truly the ultimate weapon

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I had a chirping sound once. Only at idle and not when reving or riding...looked all over and found that I had bent my horn bracket with my knee? I guess...bent it so far the corner was rubbing on the cylinder head. Here you can see the spot it rubbed in the paint.

Might not be your horn, but the chirping is likely metal lightly vibrating against more metal.

·
Live 2 Ride
70 Posts
Hey Buddy...I know you posted this a while back, but your describing exactly what mine is doing (2005 vscb)....did you ever figure out what the issue was? Hate to take it to the dealer and get raped to find out later that it's something simple. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not to worry Harley D.just ride on. i took mine to a dealer to get tires mounted and asked their pro. he said its a vacum line and has no effect on performance. my bike runs like a raped ape and that was 6,000 miles ago. dont waste your time stressing. just drop the hammer.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah I hear u on the horn bracket noise. I don't have a problem w/mine but I can hear it squeak when I wipe on bike I just bent it back. I however have had an issue w/my engine mount at 15000.U need to pull it off and inspect it, u might be surprised at what u find.

·
Noel
4,602 Posts
.................... i took mine to a dealer to get tires mounted and asked their pro. he said its a vacuum line and has no effect on performance. ..................

Some bikes may have a carbon canister and solenoid, the vacuum purges the accumulated fuel vapors captured from the fuel cell, this vapor get's sucked by a port on the TB, this would be found on CALIFORNIA compliant bikes, for the rest of use the port on the throttle body has a rubber plug.

Check the Plug or vacuum lines as applicable for leaks

·
Live 2 Ride
70 Posts
not to worry Harley D.just ride on. i took mine to a dealer to get tires mounted and asked their pro. he said its a vacum line and has no effect on performance. my bike runs like a raped ape and that was 6,000 miles ago. dont waste your time stressing. just drop the hammer.
Mark,
Glad to hear that it may not be a serious issue...i've heard it can be the water pump though...just gonna get it checked out for peace of mind...thanks bud.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts