Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to all.

I was riding home Friday night and felt a wobble in the back end on deceleration when releasing clutch on change down.

Thought maybe just a slip of tyre on road as i accelerated it felt like tyre was low on pressure.

I pulled up to find tyre was fine, it was dark but i grabbed wheel and it looked like i was flexing it sideways with one hand.

I knew something was wrong so turned round and crawled back to venue i just left.

Bike was very wobbly now, i parked inside and checked what was happening.

I removed my swing arm bolt covers as i thought maybe my swing arm bolt had snapped.

It seems not but bolt had wound off and swing arm bolt had slipped through so only was supporting one side.......

I am pleased i had the covers to save the bolt and possible high speed disaster, Although im pretty certain i would have seen my nut coming undone and bolt slipping out, were they not on.

I have no idea how this has come loose, or if it has even been worked on from new.

It only has 21,000k on it so anyone with the right socket should check their bolt is tight.

My personal opinion is that maybe this has been ongoing since new.

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
45-55 ft/lbs of torque plus a couple of drops of Blue loctite is recommended by the service manual for the pivot shaft.

·
Flamed Muscle
123 Posts
Same thing happened to me last weekend, I had a slow leak on the rear tire, once the wheel was off there was a lot of swingarm movement. After removing the chrome caps, the nut was just sitting there. I have 20,000 miles on mine. At least the cap kept me from loosing the nut.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same thing happened to me last weekend, I had a slow leak on the rear tire, once the wheel was off there was a lot of swingarm movement. After removing the chrome caps, the nut was just sitting there. I have 20,000 miles on mine. At least the cap kept me from loosing the nut.
Sorry to hear this has happened to you, but also pleased mine isnt the only isolated case.

Does anyone know why this is happening as to my knowledge my swing arm has never been removed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts