Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 2013 VRSCDX leaked some coolant yesterday because of a cracked radiator cap and made a huge mess all over the motor. This is actually the second time this has happened to me. My mistake after the first failure was to replace the cap with the same OEM part.

Hope you can see the crack in the attached photo.I am looking a for a more durable replacement. I don't mind paying a bit more for a better quality part. What are you guys using for your radiator caps?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
You see the damnest things here. In all my life (65) I've never seen a cap crack there unless abused badly before.
Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what's causing the problem. The bike is ridden normal and nowhere near hard. I have had two OEM caps so far that cracked exactly like that. Perhaps I was unlucky enough to get two caps from a bad production batch. I am now looking for a suitable aftermarket replacement.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I replaced my cap some time ago. I purchased a new one at Autozone 16 lbs. No problems with it. Much cheaper than Harley's replacement.
Do a search on Radiator cap and you will get much help and advise.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Not sure what's causing the problem. The bike is ridden normal and nowhere near hard. I have had two OEM caps so far that cracked exactly like that. Perhaps I was unlucky enough to get two caps from a bad production batch. I am now looking for a suitable aftermarket replacement.
Just bad luck on your part, finding a manufacturing defect. Nothing you can do to cause this .
Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would check the spigot and the ears on the neck on the tube going up the frame. Something is loading that locking ear on the cap to break it like that. It appears to be a fatigue failure. I've never seen a cap fail like that. I don't believe it's your cap. Does it feel like it goes on really tight?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that tip. You might be onto something. I don't feel too much resistance while putting on the cap but I will take a closer look at the ears on the filler neck.

I guess it might be a good idea to replace that whole pipe as a precaution?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Thanks, will do. Can any adjustments be made to those ears on the neck?
Be careful with that. Cap pressure changes if you alter , bend tabs around and unless you can test it's pressure afterwards it might be good to leave it alone. Sure, give it a good look over and if nothing obvious shows up, opt for a different cap, not from harley. Remember HD buys from the cheapest source and it's not always top quality.
Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts