Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Techlusion F.I".............Anyone heard of this? If so -- is it any better than a power commander or race tuner? ebay link~~> EBAY

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
uncledee2, do a search on "techlusion" and you'll see alot of results. It's been discussed a BUNCH here.

:)

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
The techlusion only changes the fuel curve.It's about the easiest to use.It's more of a 'pants in the seat feel' tuning.The unit is placed between the ECM and the injectors.The power commander is about the same thing except it changes timing also.
The Racetuner is actually reprogramomg the ECM.It is more like a Flash(download),but you can change the fuel and timing curves.The bad thing about the RT is that cannot go with you to another bike.The other 2 you can.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Do'nt forget to mention you can really mess things up with the RT and blow the engine if you have no idea what you are doing....the DFO (techlusion) and the PCIIIR are the safest and easiest to use for people not into drag racing and who are not professional tuners , IMHO beginners should avoid the RT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok - the price differnace in the two are "BIG", whats the disadvantage of the two (except RT).thanks

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
The Techlusion box does not have the ability to adjust timing. I'm also under the impression you need to splice into wiring to install it. With the PC, no splicing is required. The ONLY advantage to the Teclusion box is it's cheaper.

John

·
Registered
154 Posts
i'm no mechanic...but I have the power commander and I like it

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I have had each one but Nobody has asked me! :rolleyes: ;)

·
4,638 Posts
KAZ...What is your opinion... Have you had either set up? :banghead: :banghead: :moon:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
PC"No maps for my set up"
Techlusion The Owner"Partner"Tuned my Bike for the setup and it work Killer! :diablo:
RT,Just Testing the Waters.Can't data log a pass so thats frustrating! :hmm:
Rev Limit is cool and each cylinder tunning is the Key! :cool:

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Power commander now has the pcIIIusb.It has individual cylinder trimming. ;)

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Super Kaz said:
PC"No maps for my set up"
Techlusion The Owner"Partner"Tuned my Bike for the setup and it work Killer! :diablo:
RT,Just Testing the Waters.Can't data log a pass so thats frustrating! :hmm:
Rev Limit is cool and each cylinder tunning is the Key! :cool:
How come you cannot datalog a pass with the RT :confused: ? Any specifics?
Ignition off. Connect 4pin connector to bike, that has a 9pin for the module, then the serial 9pin cable from module to laptop. Program to datalog whatever you want. Turn it on and ride. Engine data will give many measurements with lower resolution and dyno data will give you seven data types but very tightly recorded (greater resolution) so you can very finely "see" what to adjust.

Can you datalog anything with either the techlusion or the PC?
Can't you blow anything up with whatever you use if you don't know what you are doing?

The RT will not allow you to go past certain degrees of adjustment so that you don't F'up. If you just adjust fuel curves then you're safer. If with the RT just stay in basic mode, that's it, you're as safe as with any other. Still more complex to deal with and understand, that's true, but just because even in basic mode you can still do finer tuning of main spark and fuel tables. Get into the juicy stuff in advanced mode then you can adjust whatever independently for any cylinder. THEN if you're like I am, a newbie, you'll F'up.

Bottom line? With the RT, no splicing, no nothing, just connect. It'll tell you whatever the computer can sense and it is less guesswork if you are willing to deal with it as it will be more time consuming. The PCIII IS a good alternative and everyone can find someone to tune with it so to reach bottom line it may be better. There has to be longer processing times with the PCIII, if of real world importance or not, possibly. Whatever jingles your bells.

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
With Kaz's speed off the line he'd leave the laptop behind ;)

If they adapted the data logging to a Pocket PC (iPaq) or Palm then it would be soooo much easier.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Is there such a thing as tuning school? Cause this is interesting.

OK! I see no easy way to settle this "issue" (U can bet Ur ass it won't). Can the TL do anything the RT cannot? I don't see it. Can the PC do anything the RT cannot? I don't see it. Is there in existence anything that can do at least ONE function that the RT cannot? Again, I don't see it. How many functions does the RT offer that others cannot? Many, not two or three things, probably out of the top of my head more than 10 easy. This is not magic, you just manipulate whatever the bike can do and different tools will give you more or less things to be able to tweak and fine tune.

(individual cylinder tuning, rpm limit changes, speedo recal for sprocket change, spark timing, spark timing for each cylinder individualy, volumetric efficiencies, detecting activation of knock sensors, injector sizes, it can tell you if you're running too hot, you can adjust for different loads at same rpm at different or same throttle positions, and see it displayed to pinpoint where to tune, at what speed did anything happen, it can fairly well estimate hp gains or losses and seems reproducible on my initial tests :lick: , you can get your DTC's and see what they are, if historic or whatever, it can show them all at once without the dance with the odo button again and again, you can datalog and see it graphically in curves making it easy to pinpoint trouble, no installation required, probably more stuff I don't know about)

No other device will allow even three or four of the above, if not just tell me so I learn. How about to just play with big boys toys like we all want? Not even the addition of the Terry Components thing for a self tuning motorcycle EFI system will make the RT obsolete like it may with the others (except maybe PCIIIusb). I will be getting one on mine to test for myself. Even with it alone I would still get a RT and make for a better running motorcycle.

Is it absolutely true you need a RT for the faster bike? No ;) ! The RT being more complex will make for people not willing to try and learn it so they'll tune with the easier much more frequently thus increasing the chances of having fast bikes on those systems. If anyone gets impressive results with the PC, TL, or RT will not be likely because of the device used, it will probably be secondary to the tuner (yourself or some guy possibly with lesser brains than yours, force yourself to think that way, please), the parts setup complimenting each other, or both.

Is the RT perfect? Hell no! I need a backpack for the laptop when datalogging, it would be much better if it would run on handhelds, preferrably the PocketPC variety, then it would be nearly perfect, even if then I need to download the file to the laptop where there's a faster processor and a bigger screen. Perfect for me would be if it would run on my iPaq, measure and adjust itself based on exhaust side data (two sensors, one for each cylinder), cost the same :broke: :moon: , and easy to install just the two sensors and the rest as the RT, just connect without shitty boxes. Oh, and I would rather somebody besides HD was doing it so the money would go somewhere else, the aftermarket needs to grow more and HD has 20,000 of my dollars. I don't see it happening so I'm telling myself :alien: 'me.

I see mine with the Terry device and the RT after John's success :thumb: . That'll help me with the flux capacitor and plutonium for fuel. Already emailed them with the request. Nothing matters if not fun so do what's best just for your particular situation. :2cents:

With Kaz's bike everything has to be custom by definition since with such a unique, and :cool: , setup. The RT resembles what pro's use the most at such levels of perf. :cool: again. Maybe he can get one of the weird fiberglass covers and customize it to accept one of those stuck on rotating laptop bases with airride susp just for the computer.

:hyper:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts