·
VRSC est -03
3,092 Posts
The Streetfighter looks interesting.
Hey Tassie -something for you?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The only thing v rodish about that engine is it's a V twin, nothing more. You can bet your ass it didn't have the extreme testing done that the Revolution did. Probably like the M8 and what a disaster that's been with sumping and oil carry over from the trans.
Ron

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
It looks more Ducati-like to me. The Revo isn't really a great platform for multiple displacements.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks more Ducati-like to me. The Revo isn't really a great platform for multiple displacements.
It does appear to have dual overhead cams and a 45 ish degree cylinder angle, but it's a short clip.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Build it H-D, Customers will come with $$$ !

The Wisconsin-based company said it is launching by 2020 a new platform of 500 cc to 1250 cc middleweight bikes and an even smaller bike for emerging markets in Asia.

"We're going to be doubling down on existing products. We're going to invest in an all-new middleweight platform, which is a modular chassis and a very core engine technology to go in three dramatically different spaces: adventure touring, custom and street fighter," Levatich said in a wide-ranging interview with CNBC's Morgan Brennan.

Great catch John, AKA RF_R_US ! Yea, so how many of us have been harping on this modular middleweight formula to be the next bike to help save H-D ? Maybe they listened ? Or more likely they finally gave in to reality. This actually was used to revive Triumph, same 3 Cylinder basic engine, different cam profiles, exhaust, frame, running gear and visual finish for a cruiser, sport touring and "street fighter" road race style bike, it worked. Only then a decade later did they re-invent the Bonneville, did it right, fine tuned it and it succeeded. It works to help build up the base, but can also create separate bikes great in their own right but sharing a basic engine. H-D has always done this with their engines, but never in such different types of bikes. Hopefully they are listening - all here on the site should offer their suggestions here to H-D to prevent them from doing a Face Book sized Face Plant. Here's mine -

The engine MUST be excellent, and REVO bulletproof. Just take basic 1250 REVO design, add a 1/4 to 3/8 stroke, optimized cam profiles for the model, add a Friggin' 6th gear, & you got it ! DO NOT create another pushrod 20K mile cam box failure, "heritage" half watercooled separate transmission turd. Top notch modern or don't bother.

Offer each style of bike in two levels of trim, one standard lower cost production to bring in new buyers and one upscale trim with better paint, suspension, brakes ( CVO like but without the 40K price ) for those of us that have been around, value such things and will pay for it. Or even buy the basic trim level bike, & pick your favorite trim level upgrades - better seat & windshield, or better brakes & suspension, premium paint till your wallet runs out. Make it FUN to buy the bike !, haggle and A$$ wipe, vulture circling sales Dick free. :banghead:

I could go on but you get the idea. Gotta get back to work to make sure I keep that $ 25K + burning a hole in my account ready to hand over to H-D if they do this right. Do it RIGHT H-D ! :blahblah: :D

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Screw that... I want a Live Wire with 100 mile range, and a Tesla-like "Ludicrous" mode. That would be the ultimate street fighter.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Most likely Revo X based. Different jugs for changes in displacement .

·
VRSC est -03
3,092 Posts
Motorcyclenews.com:

Streetfighter

Custom 1250

Last year Harley-Davidson CEO Matt Levatich promised to bring 2 million new riders to motorcycling over the next 10 years along with 100 new models. Now they’ve announced how they’re doing it – with a mind bending expansion into segments they’ve never even touched before. Harley haven’t just blown the bloody doors off – they’ve vaporised the van…

Watch out Ducati
As well as the Pan America adventure bike, Harley will also launch two new middleweights in 2020. There will be a 1250cc Custom, which is the most traditional bike we’ve seen so far, and a 975cc Streetfighter, which is aimed to compete with everything from the Street Triple right up to the Monster 1200 thanks to its unique modular design.

The new water-cooled engine will come in numerous displacements ranging from 500cc to 1250cc. There will also be a few different frames (some using the engine as a stressed member), swingarm and front ends, so that multiple bikes can be made from similar running gear – a technique Harley have used on the current Softail range. This will ensure Harley will have models to cater for those taking their tentative first steps into motorcycle ownership, right through to the power hungry, corner carvers looking for big thrills while keeping costs down

Paired with these new engines will be fully adjustable suspension from Showa, Brembo monobloc brakes and sporty Michelin tyres. Harley say the new bikes will also have a proper electronics package and while they won’t be drawn on details we’re expecting lean-angle sensitive traction control, cornering ABS and adjustable rider modes. Of course these three models are just the start.

Get ready to rumble
In the ‘More Roads to Harley-Davidson’ that was released on Monday, there are snippets of other bikes in the background that we expect will make up the 16 new models between now and 2022. There’s nothing definitive but we’re expecting a faired sportsbike, a scrambler and a flat tracker.

“Softail transformed people's perception of how a Harley-Davidson handles,” a Harley-Davidson spokesman told MCN. “With these bikes we're going to move things on again.

“Some of these bikes are in segments we’ve never tried before and some people might have reservations but we’ve put lots of time, effort and money into this. We’ve not come here to be second best.”

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Officer I don't know HOW my red key was in Ludicrous Mode !?

Well Kurt, LL Cool K sounds real fun & I'm sure that bike is coming - they are working on the new batteries now so 100 mile range may soon be doable ( not using the Ludicrous Mode, cigar lighter or heated grips though :) I think H-D is facing a small problem (challenge ?) with the new electric Live Wire - its already faster than most gas engine bikes and with instant torque at low speed it's a recipe for breaking the back wheel loose and low siding by the new, unknowing low motorcycle mileage guys and gals that want a nice, quiet, kind type of H-D but don't know it's an animal. I can only imagine it will have trimmed acceleration and traction control, stability control, anti-lock brakes even in regeneration mode. Maybe a Red key to access full power & Ludicrous Mode for those experienced motorcycle riding veterans that qualify for it ? H-D's liability dept. may neuter it, hope not but like the new gas bikes I hope they all together save the H-D MoCo. :blahblah: :D

·
VRSC est -03
3,092 Posts
Motorcyclenews.com:

Pan America

In a seismic announcement, the aftershock of which will be felt for years to come, Harley-Davidson have announced an enormous fleet of new bikes, powered by a brand new engine and spearheaded by the visually arresting Pan America adventure bike. No, we didn’t see this one coming either.

A proper Harley
The heart of Harley’s new middleweight range (read more here: New Harley-Davidson Middleweights), is a brand new water-cooled engine. It’s modular in design, so can be configured in a range of capacities but it will debut in the Pan America as a 1250cc (with a 975cc version to come later). It’s still a traditional powerplant, so it’s a big v-twin with that potato-potato sound, but it will have a top end like we’ve never experienced before. Harley won’t be drawn on specifics yet, however we’re expecting to see three figures. To go with this new engine will be a full electronics suite with all the modcons that we’ve grown used to including ride-by-wire and traction control. To go with this step up in power, the rest of the kit has had an upgrade too.

No compromise
Cradling the engine is a brand new frame that is paired with a new swingarm, Brembo monobloc calipers and new long-travel Showa suspension. It also has all the usual adventure bike additions including crash bars, serrated footpegs, bash plate, handguards and tubeless spoked wheels plus the standard touring bike fare of good lights, large adjustable screen, big comfortable seats and removable luggage. There will also be a new full-colour TFT screen that we expect to debut on some new models released later this year.

H-D haven’t released any specs about the bike but given the size of the tank, we’d expect it to have a decent range in excess of 200 miles. It should handle well off-road, if the video of a test rider launching it into the air is anything to go by. Though if you haven’t guessed already, we don’t think it will be cheap.

Take my money
Given the engine size and the quality of the parts fitted (plus Harley’s no expense spared reputation), we expect the Pan America to be priced anywhere between £10-16,000 depending on the engine size and the final spec. The obvious competition would be the big adventure bikes from BMW, KTM, Ducati et al who all make large capacity twin-cylinder adventure bikes. Harley-Davidson have said the Pan America will be released in 2020, as one of the first from their new middleweight range.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts

Damn.........they finally out 'uglied" the Muscle ! :barf:

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
The only thing v rodish about that engine is it's a V twin, nothing more. You can bet your ass it didn't have the extreme testing done that the Revolution did. Probably like the M8 and what a disaster that's been with sumping and oil carry over from the trans.
Ron
Fully agree with statement

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts

Damn.........they finally out 'uglied" the Muscle ! :barf:
<sigh> I was briefly interested, until the pic. Reminds me of some things I've seen at the museum as prototypes. Unfortunately, that was the snowmobile...

Have been very very casually in the market for an adv bike for a while. Guess I don't have to wait for that one.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts

·
USMC Tanker
457 Posts
Installation by trained " H-D Master Technicians" extra. :deal:

Techs will be heading to the hills, M8 problems and now these "new" ones.
They might regret their hatred towards the Revo . All they had to do was learn how to do a valve lash.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
And NOW, H-D Glamping ! Woo-Hoo !

Funny stuff that $ 499 radiator guard (plus installation :)) 85% of most buyers will never see any trail or muddy dirt road only dirty streets. The other 15% that will actually really use it off road will probably buy a more focused KTM 1290 or the equivalent. I rented my first BMW GS1200 last fall in Colorado and was very impressed - two up to 11,300 ft in dirt/mud/rain/ sleet /snow on an old railroad bed to Breckenridge and out the snowy interstate 70 thru the Eisenhower tunnel up to 85 Mph back to Denver - good in the dirt, better on the street. If H-D can match that bike and be absolutely no heavier they will sell, and it will never land on the cylinder heads BMW style when dropped. Adventure bikes ain't in no beauty contest - in fact the uglier ( with bigger metal pannier cans on the side and back ) the better. Carry a Harley Davidson tent, H-D outdoor gear plus add a sweetie,your food,ice,beer wine and go Glamping, H-D style ! :blahblah: :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts