Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo...I'm at a cross road right now. I'm wiring up my new MVC-7400 gauge for my rebuild. I've used RustyG post to do alot of the wiring and even got the connector to make it plug and play. But I didn't realize the check engine light is through the data bus :banghead: So I contacted Dakota Digital since they are just up the street from me. And they have a new product out now called the STM-100 that will allow you to read the data bus for the Speed, Tach and the Check engine light. So I've already dumped alot of money in this and wondering if it is worth dropping another $150 basically for a check engine light?? As I'm fastly approaching :broke:

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
You could also take the outer bucket/front dial/needles and needle servo's of your old gauges and put the main circuitboard isolated just for the display 'somwhere'

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
You shoud of bought my V gauge....

If you need to use it Kris let me know.

I can overnight it to you.

plug and pay to serial bus.

This can buy you some time to figure it out.

Saved you $150.00

rod

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha thanks Rod. The major thing that I'm debating between right now is using this Data bus reader or just picking up the stuff for the Portable Dashboard. And finding away to mount the phone to the clipons. Not much for real estate space on those though. Plus the Data Bus Reader from Dakota would allow me to read the error codes without using the stock gauge...but then I think the twin tech can do that too if I plug into it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Offer is there.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I use the STM-100 to control my Cruise Control. Never felt the need for a check engine light. I use that light on the DD gauges to tell me when the fans turn on.
The ECM will put a ground on pin 3, I think, when It's time to turn the fans on. A wire from it to the DD gauge will turn on the check engine light. Just a handy way of knowing the bike is heating up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts