Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I've noticed that sometimes my CE light comes on for a few seconds after starting the bike. As we have speculated, this is caused by a low voltage condition that causes the ECM to reset itself.

Harley confirms this in the following Tech Tip that they sent to their dealers.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
thanks for the find drew. you rock!!

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
mine started to come on for about 5 seconds after start up. this was after I installed the PCIIIUSB. I assumed it had to do with pulling the ECM apart, so I reset it and it has not come on since. Code pulled was P1004.

·
This Place Rocks!
732 Posts
me too

had the exact same issue. put it on a battery tender jr. and all is well. dealer load tested the battery and all looks good. don't have to use the tender every day, but if i ride a lot of short trips (only 10 miles or so to work) it seems to need the tender for a night every week or so.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
might be overkill but I hook up the tender whenever I park the bike in the garage.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I neglected to mention:

If the CEL comes on after startup, time how long it is lit before going out. If it is 4 seconds then it is caused by the low-voltage condition. If it is for 8 seconds, then it means there is an historic code stored.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
mustanggt said:
might be overkill but I hook up the tender whenever I park the bike in the garage.
Same here.Keeping the battery at full charge should make it last longer.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
For me the CEL comes on when I flip the kill switch to run and then goes out and does not come on at cranking the engine. Is this right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked mine up from service.....asked them to look at the CEL which was staying on for approx. 4 to 5 second after starting. They found a code cleared it and all is well.

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
I'm also trying to track down a similar prob. Mine cycles through the system checks twice. Security light, check engine light, then goes off like normal, then it starts the process again whether the bike is running or not. Anybody got clues?

Ted

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi
Once I added the PCIII I found the same thing, try this. Turn on the key, push the run switch to run - let the computer cycle through until the light goes out then start. My light does not come back on. I think what is happening, while the ECU is doing is startup the PCIII is doing the same thing and my be blocking some of the inputs to the ECU. Just a guess.

Wayne :ride:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup. Just installed V-Mods and the PCIIIr.
I turn the key to on; let the fuel pump prime and start the bike
Then the CEL light goes out and then comes back on.
After a few seconds it goes back off.

So--I'm not following :confused: Can I reset the ECU to get rid of the second cycle without a trip to the dealer?? :helpme:
/Steevo

·
Oh Atlanta
2,431 Posts
Swiped from the "Checking Codes" sticky thread - posted by Max:

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1- Ignition off

2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.

3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)

4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)

5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.

6- Record the codes.

7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.

~~

Steevo:

Sounds like a stored code.

For what it's worth, I started my bike with the air-box lid off and IAT sensor unplugged. It set off the check engine light, set a code and the light would come back on after start up. I used the above method to check it and clear it and it hasn't come back on since.

Dave

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
bbmach --- "and IAT sensor unplugged. "

I hope you plugged it back in. It needs that.

I think the gist is that if you get a second CEL you have a code stored and it needs to be checked/cleared.

·
Oh Atlanta
2,431 Posts
Sam_A said:
bbmach --- "and IAT sensor unplugged. "

I hope you plugged it back in. It needs that.
You betcha. It was a momentary thing. I figured it was going to set a code when I fired it up.

Steevo - that’s the same code I had. Glad I was able to help.

You've got a cool home page and some interesting machinery yourself. I also see you know Mr. Chenet. Interesting photographer, eh? Rich and I have spent considerable time together, and will again in a few weeks.

Glad it worked out!! :cheers:

Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts