Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of days now, my bike (completely stock 09 vrscdx) has been spitting out some error codes every time I really give it some gas. i have to leave it WOT or running in hard or a few seconds (hit at least 95 or be climing a decent hill). Every time I do, it throws 3 codes - P0261, P0263 (f/r injectors open/low) and P1481 (fan output open/low). It's got plenty or warranty left, but stealer said it will be a week or so before they can get to it, and didn't want to take it in if there was an easy fix. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
For a couple of days now, my bike (completely stock 09 vrscdx) has been spitting out some error codes every time I really give it some gas. i have to leave it WOT or running in hard or a few seconds (hit at least 95 or be climing a decent hill). Every time I do, it throws 3 codes - P0261, P0263 (f/r injectors open/low) and P1481 (fan output open/low). It's got plenty or warranty left, but stealer said it will be a week or so before they can get to it, and didn't want to take it in if there was an easy fix. Any ideas?
There’s no common link between the power feeds and controls for the fan relay and for each of the fuel injectors. Bad grounds can cause various random DTCs so those should be checked first but the specific codes you’re seeing would point to a defective ECM as the most probable cause especially on a new bike that hasn’t been messed with. These codes could be from problems in the individual component circuits so you should check those to be sure.

The power feed for the fuel injectors is not the likely problem area since you didn’t see DTCs for the coils or fuel pump. This would mean that the P0261/P0263 codes you mention are likely (if not a bad ground or ECM) shorts to ground in the injector control circuits. These are the green with gray stripe wire that runs from ECM pin #19 to the rear injector and the white with yellow stripe wire that runs from ECM pin #21 to the front injector.

Concerning the P1481 code, look for an open connection in the red with orange stripe wire from the BATTERY fuse to the fan relay or a short to ground in the white with red stripe wire that runs from ECM pin #2 to the fan relay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, checked those wires out, and none of them looked bad or like they were grounding out. seems strange that it would be a short that only occured at WOT. guess i'll have to make a trip to the stealer soon.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
As with just about any late model vehicle acting this way,grounds are a good place to start.Each ground coming directly from the battery should be taken loose,inspected and cleaned.
A meter can be used to check the grounds too.

A shorted battery could cause these complaints too.The battery can also be checked w a simple volt meter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least the dealer seems to be no more competent than me!! Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing though. Took it in yesterday for a tire, and to look at the codes. Call last night said it was ready. Went in today, they said it looked like once the bike had been overcharged (bad trickle charger? that's all its ever hooked up to) and was throwing ghost codes. I told them I cleared the codes a few times myself, but they always popped back up under the same circumstances. They said they reset something ... blah blah blah. Tell my ride to hang out for a minute. Take the bike out, warm it up, really get on it, and guess what?? The light comes on again! Back to the dealer, and back home without a bike still.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
At least the dealer seems to be no more competent than me!! Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing though. Took it in yesterday for a tire, and to look at the codes. Call last night said it was ready. Went in today, they said it looked like once the bike had been overcharged (bad trickle charger? that's all its ever hooked up to) and was throwing ghost codes. I told them I cleared the codes a few times myself, but they always popped back up under the same circumstances. They said they reset something ... blah blah blah. Tell my ride to hang out for a minute. Take the bike out, warm it up, really get on it, and guess what?? The light comes on again! Back to the dealer, and back home without a bike still.
IT'S AN OPTICAL ILLUSION at best. Any time a shop tells you they "reset something" but can not tell you what that something is, means they either didn't bother checking into your concern, or could not reproduce the problem.
What tuner if any are you running?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Clearing the codes does not fix the problem

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not running a tuner at all. only 'non-stock' item on the whole bike is the headlight. kinda glad that it is too or i am sure they would try to blame whatever the problem is on the extra parts that I have put on.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
'glad' you can reproduce the problem. have them look till they found somthing!
IMHO there are too many dealers who take your money but dont want to look for hard to find problems cause they most likely only get payd for the small part whats broken, not the hours they have to put in for searching.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think the biggest problem is trying to match the codes. other than a short to ground somewhere, i don't of anything that would cause the fan and injectors to throw a code at the same time. i have cleared all the codes several times to pinpoint what makes it happen, and they only come on during extended WOT at high rpms. maybe it will be a bad computer and they will give me the SERT for free as a replacement!!!! ha, i really just said something free from harley didn't I!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. So they just called and said that they can't figure out why the codes are coming on, but the ballast for the HID light is cracked and they think that might be the problem???? So basically I have to take my bike back, return the headlight to stock and then they will look at it again for me. This is ridiculous.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Sounds to me like you have some people in the dealer that are lost on procedure of diagnosis.
Retrieving,copying and clearing the codes is only part of the procedure.After clearing the codes,the bike should have been road tested to see if the codes came back.
We know the same codes came back.
We know the person checking your bike did not proceed w the next step of the procedure because the person checking your motorcycle most likely does not know how to go about properly diagnosing it so,you need to either find a competent mechanic,or get the electrical manual so you can diagnose and repair your bike.

I deal w situations like this a dozen or so times a month from shops I deal with.
Last problem I had that turned into a cluster **** was on an 04 Mercedes 320 coupe.I went through the transmission,I get a call after it is reinstalled that I didn't fix anything because it's doing the same thing and setting the same fault codes as it was when it came in.I went to the shop to diagnose the problem.There was 8 hard codes.During my visual,I looked at the TCM,the connector was not locked in place!
Had the ignorant mechanic used common sense after seeing 8 open circuit and shorted codes,this transmission problem could have been fixed while the customer was waiting,and a lot of stress would have been avoided from my life.
Now,at this particular shop,no one is allowed to make a decision on pulling a transmission until I come in and verify it needs to be removed to fix the customers concern.If the mechanics in the shop choose to ignore me and the owner,I will stop dealing with the shop altogether.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Hmmm. So they just called and said that they can't figure out why the codes are coming on, but the ballast for the HID light is cracked and they think that might be the problem???? So basically I have to take my bike back, return the headlight to stock and then they will look at it again for me. This is ridiculous.
that really blows that they won't work with you,but at least they aren't crying out about voiding the warranty for the after factory HID setup.
The reason I say it blows is because the dealer I choose to do my warranty work installed a complete stock exhaust system on my Heritage engine when we were chasing internal bearing noises.They try to keep a stock exhaust system in the tool room for diagnostic purposes on the bikes w extremely loud pipes.
This is part of the reason I always post up about the dealer treating me like a king.They actually take the extra step toward diagnosing for a successful repair.If they would have asked me to pay for this,I would have.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here's the way the story ended up today. Went in to pick up the bike. They said that the tech had 3 hours of time into the bike, and that they needed to recoup their money somehow. Before they asked me for any money, the service writer decided it wasn't fair to charge me. They threw around a few ideas (at the desk were 2 service writers and the service manager) which included me paying for all 3 hours, me paying or 1.5 and them paying 1.5, and leaving the ticket open, if the codes still showed up after the HID was removed then they pay, if it went away I pay. After 10 minutes of discussion, they decided it was not right to charge me anything, and asked me to take the HID light out, and either bring it back in if the check engine light kept showing, or call and let them know that fixed the problem. Great customer service, and I will take my bike back to them anytime.

Rode the bike home, didn't get the light to come on riding normally like it always would have. So I jumped out on some back country roads and hung out around 110-120 for a few miles. NO LIGHT!! I think they inadvertently fixed the bike!! Here's hoping for the best.

·
Noel
4,613 Posts
You're lucky they covered you on the diagnostics time!:angelwin:

A year or so ago I brought my Ultra to the dealer ~!down the street from me~, mind you, not the place I purchased the bike, they checked out my complaint (Wifes Heated seat did not seem to get warm), I wanted it fixed or replaced, they checked it out and found no issues, therefore nothing to warranty, repair or replace, the OWNER of the dealership insisted that I pay the $100 cost of his techs time, they had no desire to eat it.

Hence my current issues with that bike, cracked Y Pipe, Broken Tourpak support bracket, Starter clutch failure, and failed Starter safety/override switch in the clutch lever are all being serviced by the dealer that SOLD me the bike, well worth the 100 mile ride. :deal:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts