Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a 06 VRSCA this weekend. It currently has the solid wheels on it. I'm not a big fan of the look. My buddies swear they'll affect the handling if the bike in the wind, though I think different.

So I've been looking at some spoke wheels. I really like the bicycle spoke looking ones best but my local dealer said they didn't see any for Vrod, even though I think they came standard on the 2010 Vrod. Only wheels they found where the black factory ones like on the 2011 Night Rods (which dont think would look good on a red bike) and the Reactors which were a bit more then I wanted to spend.

So is there any good websites that have Vrod wheels around the same price as they HD ones ($350 a piece)? Or how much would it cost to machine the solid wheels?

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Personally I don't like the solid wheels that have been machined.Gorby's machine does this.
Spoke wheels came on the front of the V-Rods starting in 07.You'll need the rotors.You'll need Brembo calipers too.You need to check w wheel companys to find out if they offer a spoke rear that matches the factory front.
The way the factory solids are shaped,they do cause handling concerns in certain wind conditions.Though I never though it was as bad as some people claim.I changed mine to Weld Smoothies and the difference is night and day.I kept the solid wheels because this is one of the main things that made the V-Rod in 03 and 02,same w the original shaped exhaust.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Jeffrey, don't listen to your dealership! They know nothing of your bike... Ask here fisrt. The people here will lead you right.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
06 is 180 rear...

Go with the 08 D wheels.

Have them chrome if you want .

Whole set 1200 including the chrome.

Best for your money.

If you want 240...search budget 240...Then do the 09 F wheels.

Good Luck
rsc

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thank you

Jeffrey, don't listen to your dealership! They know nothing of your bike... Ask here fisrt. The people here will lead you right.
Thank You and the rest of the V rod forum for helping each and everyone of us especially newbies like me.

·
Midwest Pimp
3,106 Posts
Personally I don't like the solid wheels that have been machined.Gorby's machine does this.
Spoke wheels came on the front of the V-Rods starting in 07.You'll need the rotors.You'll need Brembo calipers too.You need to check w wheel companys to find out if they offer a spoke rear that matches the factory front.The way the factory solids are shaped,they do cause handling concerns in certain wind conditions.Though I never though it was as bad as some people claim.I changed mine to Weld Smoothies and the difference is night and day.I kept the solid wheels because this is one of the main things that made the V-Rod in 03 and 02,same w the original shaped exhaust.
I think he should be o.k. just ordering a spoked front rim and like you said, finding a wheel company that will manufacture him a matching rear...
I am pretty sure all 06 v-rods have the brembo brakes so it should be able to be an easy swap...
Good Luck...and enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Think I may just bring it home with solids on it and see what I think. Don't really think I care to spend $1000 for them to put 2011 style black wheels on a red bike. Think it'd look much better with something chrome, even if it's the solids.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
send them out to be chromed for that price.

When you start pricing sets and find out 3 to 4 g's for a set...lol

Good call when doing it yourself.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
My 05 B came with solids.. changed to slots..got a BRAND NEW chromed rear from wisconson HD on ebay $235 and an aluminum cast front in perfecr condition for $250 also off fleabay..put on brand new tires and new bearings too.
Major improvement in handling with the slots especially on the highway.Now when a Big Rig goes by at 75 mph I don't get blown into the next lane:D
Saving the solids..just might in time,have Gorby do "his thing" with 'em..personally I think he has a couple great designs.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Ended up getting the black 5 spoke wheels that HD have available. Fiance and i both disliked the solid look. They were $350 a piece. But since I was doing it same time as I bought the bike they gave me a 20% discount. Figure if I dislike the look of the wheels, I'll get them podercoated over the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts