Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been quietly lurking on the site now for a couple months, snooping and learning as much as I can, but I have to start another exhaust thread!
I am looking for some NRS exhaust options that aren't extreme. By that I mean, pricewise!! I have looked some of the 2-1 pipes with PCIII options and that is a SHITload of money. Is there a V&H/fuelpak combo ( or similar vendor) that gives me noticably better performance and sound without breaking the wallet?
How about slip ons? I am not the guy looking to tweak every ounce of HP out of my bike but I am the cheap bastard who wants "the most for the least".
Are there options that don't require me to spend $400 plus on dyno tuning after putting on a pipe and computer?
Somebody please shed the light......help this ignorant sot!
:banghead:

·
Registered
119 Posts
How about slip ons? I am not the guy looking to tweak every ounce of HP out of my bike but I am the cheap bastard who wants "the most for the least".
Are there options that don't require me to spend $400 plus on dyno tuning after putting on a pipe and computer?
Somebody please shed the light......help this ignorant sot!
:banghead:
I saw a thread on here where someone bought some car exhaust tips ($20). Next all you would need to do is get a programmer ($250-$300). Total cost around $270. Hell, when I think about it that's what my Tab exhaust are, two 14 inch long powercoated exhaust tips (no baffles) with a programmer.LOL

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Most forum members with tech knowledge would most likely recommend a tuner whether you have altered your pipes or kept them stock.
1st,Get a cheap PC3 or alternate tuner. Then cheap 20 buck or gut out your stock baffles.You can remove black caps from DX pipes and gut and chop short.Find a good (FREE) MAP on this forum appropriate for duel or single canz..Drill holes in end of canz.
Your definitely one cheap ba$tard. Now get to work bum.

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
the cheapest option is going to be to find a used PC3 (they show up in the classifieds from time to time) and mod the pipes you have now (either gut or drill holes). The map is free (there are a bunch in the EFI section)

The only downside is that the stock exhaust is so heavy (mostly the cans and baffles). Riding a VRod with a full system to one with the stock system back to back is night and day (and I'm not even referring to the minor HP gains). I found with my stock exhaust the bike loved to pull to the right ... That problem went away when the stock exhaust came off. For me that was worth the cash alone

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will the pcIII be applicable to a V&H comp when it's time? Or will I have to look for another tuner? Also, will a map get me out of dyno tuning or will I still need to do it? I definitely get the benefits of dumping the stock exhaust but I blew my scratch on the bike and am looking for a cheap temporary solution till next year.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I saw a thread on here where someone bought some car exhaust tips ($20). Next all you would need to do is get a programmer ($250-$300). Total cost around $270. Hell, when I think about it that's what my Tab exhaust are, two 14 inch long powercoated exhaust tips (no baffles) with a programmer.LOL
i was actually talking to someone about this the other day and ive been trying to find the thread about the autozone exhaust tips but no uck yet

·
Registered
271 Posts
From what I understand, SuperTrapp Fatshots, with 8 discs, dont need to be tuned.

With the closed end caps that is correct. It is the recommended setup for stock bike from Super Trappand printed in the instructions. I have been running it on my R with no problems

·
Registered
186 Posts
With the closed end caps that is correct. It is the recommended setup for stock bike from Super Trappand printed in the instructions. I have been running it on my R with no problems
How is the sound?
Any change in MPG?
Any place to get them cheaper than MSRP?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an 2010 NRS.Just put on a Power Commander V that I got brand new for $290.00 on E-bay.Bought Gibson clamp on 12in.tips from summit for a total of $80.00.Used the map that came on the disc for the Force exhaust with stock A/C.The thing runs awsome,and loud as [email protected]#k.Good luck.

·
DX/FLHX
10 Posts
Went to the Summit site and lots of options for tips. Might try it to see how I like it , have to get a tuner. What benefit if any would the resonator have? Quiet it down a little?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts