Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultimately I want to reduce the rake, upgrade the suspension to make this handle better.

Is there a kit or manufacturer that makes a steeper lower clamp (tree) top reduce rake?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Ultimately I want to reduce the rake, upgrade the suspension to make this handle better......
I hope you know what you're doing. Reducing the triple clamp rake will increase trail and make the bike harder to turn.

It's the rake of the steering angle that needs to be reduced to do what you mention and that's a major modification.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
An Italian company OMP makes some 0° V-Rod trees. They are available through a US distributor, forget whom, and when I last checked were $700-$800.
While there is some truth to what Stever says suspension geometry is not so easily defined.
To over come the turning difficulties inherent in extreme rake HD sought compromise by putting some of the rake in the trees to reduce the Trail dimension. You can do the similar by reducing the tree rake but adding stem to tube offset to affect that dimension.
You could get a later set of stock trees which only have 2° instead of 4°

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
An Italian company OMP makes some 0° V-Rod trees. They are available through a US distributor, forget whom, and when I last checked were $700-$800.
While there is some truth to what Stever says suspension geometry is not so easily defined.
To over come the turning difficulties inherent in extreme rake HD sought compromise by putting some of the rake in the trees to reduce the Trail dimension. You can do the similar by reducing the tree rake but adding stem to tube offset to affect that dimension.
You could get a later set of stock trees which only have 2° instead of 4°
You're right that there's more to the trail calculation than just the triple tree angle and that's why I said I hope he knew what he was doing.

If the tube offset is kept the same, reducing the tree angle will increase trail. The trees currently used on the VRSC were reduced from 4° to 2° (keeping tube offset the same) in order to increase the trail and provide more high speed stability = harder to turn.

Increasing tube offset will reduce trail so you could have a custom triple tree made with 0° rake and about 4.7" of tube offset (OEM offset is about 1.75") and you'd have about 3" of trail (I wouldn’t go less than that, OEM trail is 3.9" for the 4° trees and 4.6" for the 2° trees).

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
Just checked the specs on the new models which use the inverted fork with 0° rake trees. They have 5.6" trail.
As for offset, the early 4° rake trees for standard forks had around 2" offset in upper tree, 2.7" offset in lower tree.
As it happens the frame structure below the steering head requires extra offset to allow a decent amount of steering lock-to-lock with out the lower tree contacting the frame tubes.Any 0° reake trees would likewise require that amount of offset or either things would hit or it would take a city block to turn the bike around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts