Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 DX,
Can the 240mm rear be changed "old school" with tire spoons or are machines required?
Rondo

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
You may be able to do it but it has been my experience that tubless tire beads fit tighter than the older tube types did. They have to seal.
Generally if you remove the wheel and take it with the new tire to any Jap bike shop with a machine they will do it for $20-$40 but call around.
Me personally I have a mechanical bead breaker, Harbor Freight which I have used many times and it makes the job pretty easy. Wouldn't think of trying without it.

·
Captain DeadPool
653 Posts
Just took mine off and put on a Cobra 250 the old school way. Just make sure you tape up your tools so you don't scratch up your paint. Don't ask me how I know. Check some you tube videos for some pointers. I did and it helped alot.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Done it both ways, and now, I just pay a local tire shop the 20 bucks and be done. I have wrestled with a 240, and it is tough. Bump that - remove the wheel, roll it to a shop, roll home. Nothing particularly manly about scratching the crap out of a good wheel!!!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Shoot I paid $25 a tire at a local motorcycle shop and they still scratched my rear putting the rear Avon 250 on. I had them paint it for free...but still common I don't want scratched/gouged edges...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts